1993 Sea Ray 200 BR Rebuild

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69rrvert said:
One more thing, I am becoming immune to the cold showers :chill: due to the fibreglass :brickwall:. Thanks, Steven

One summer while I was in college I had a stint doing A/C duct work on new condo constructions. Built plenums out of fiberglass ductboard all day long... I was advised by one of the oldtimers to first take an ungodly hot shower to open up the pores to help get the fiberglass out...then switch to freezing cold to close the pores back up and drop your core temperature so you can cool back down... As hot & humid as it is down here the last thing I wanted to do was go home and take a hot shower...but it worked pretty well...

69rrvert

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69rrvert said:
One more thing, I am becoming immune to the cold showers :chill: due to the fibreglass :brickwall:. Thanks, Steven

One summer while I was in college I had a stint doing A/C duct work on new condo constructions. Built plenums out of fiberglass ductboard all day long... I was advised by one of the oldtimers to first take an ungodly hot shower to open up the pores to help get the fiberglass out...then switch to freezing cold to close the pores back up and drop your core temperature so you can cool back down... As hot & humid as it is down here the last thing I wanted to do was go home and take a hot shower...but it worked pretty well...

I already take hot showers, but it's the cold part that I hate. I do not like cold water. I used to do residential A/C work and know all about ductboard. That stuff is horrible. I am now working in a chemical plant on process refrigeration machinea. I do not miss the attics. Thanks, Steven

John69RR

Reaction score
Looks like you've got the proect going your way Steven. Do you still have the truck? Been to the Kemah show lately?

69rrvert

Reaction score
John69RR said:
Looks like you've got the proect going your way Steven. Do you still have the truck? Been to the Kemah show lately?

Hey John,

How have you been? A co-worker wanted the truck more than I did so I sold it. As far as Kemah. I have not been there since summer '08. I heard that the cruise at Chic-fil-e was shut down due to all of the ricers and coffee can tail pipe cars. I am not sure if it has started somewhere else or not. I am not sure if the boat thing is going my way or not. It was going pretty good until I finally was able to get into the transom which appears to be bad. I was hoping to avoid having to remove all of the outdrive and replace the transom but it looks like that will be part of the rebuild now. Thanks, Steven

69rrvert

Reaction score
Hey ACME, I just saw your sig :lmao: . I know where the "village idiot" can be found. If we could just find some way to return it now. Thanks, Steven

John69RR

Reaction score
The Kemah show is still there. They moved it to the Home Depot parking lot instead. I'm still, trying to find the time to put my engine together. Too much O/T, dogs trying to commit suicide and now termites, my engine is on the back burner. Once again on this long change I'm working 5 out of 7.

69rrvert

Reaction score
John69RR said:
Once again on this long change I'm working 5 out of 7.

I just came off of long change. First time this year that I actually got six of the seven days off. Overtime here has been pretty crazy also. We are one man short right now and having to cover his spot. Thanks, Steven

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69rrvert said:
Hey ACME, I just saw your sig :lmao: . I know where the "village idiot" can be found. If we could just find some way to return it now. Thanks, Steven

I think his 15 minutes are just about up...

:jester:

69rrvert

Reaction score
Well, it's 1:00am and I just finished the ole super hot/really cold fiberglass removal shower. I made a little progress on the boat tonight after work. I was able to get the bulkheads that support the consoles removed. There were a lot of added screws holding them together. I had to screw a 1x4 as legs to each console to support them and keep them from sagging. Thankfully, the starboard bulkhead was in pretty good shape and I will be able to use the old wood as a pattern. Once I finished with the bulkheads, I removed the engine bellhousing so I could take a look at the actual wood that is between the outdrive and inner mount of the transon. You guessed it, it is rotton. I guess that will be my next task. Removing the outdrive and inner mount so I can cut the transom out. Thanks, Steven

Port side console bulkhead removed:
resized1692.jpg

Starboard side console bulkhead removed:
resized1693.jpg

Both console bulkheads are finally out:
resized1696.jpg

Engine bellhousing removed:
resized1697.jpg

Port side wood of the transom just above exhaust housing between the inside/outside of the transom:
resized1699.jpg

Starboard side wood of the transom just above exhaust housing between the inside/outside of the transom:
resized1700.jpg

69rrvert

Reaction score
I finally found a little time to get the outdrive removed today although the rain is still falling. The stand that I built works like a charm. Looking at the gimble bearing, it appears to be in need of a new one. I'll probably go ahead and replace the u-joints while it is out as well. I am slowly trying to get all of the outdrive stuff off of the boat so I can cut the transom out and repair it. Thanks, Steven

Home grown outdrive stand:
resized1895.jpg

Outdrive resting on stand:
resized1906.jpg

Gimble Housing:
resized1899.jpg

Gimble Bearing:
resized1902.jpg

Back