• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st drive in years yesterday!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Good for you. :thumbsup: I find my first drive in a newly aquired old car to be an adventure. You think you have checked everything over and is good to go. But you still don't know what the trip will be like. You feel the car out as you drive, you have no problems or surprizes and make it home ok. You feel good about it and then wonder will all the trips be like the first? They have so for for me with both cars. Now just go out and drive it some more and have fun. :drive:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that's great! :drive: so how long has it been?

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I get confused but I think the last time was around the last election, and I'm not talkng about Obama/McCain.

Things went well, I think it just needs some minor stuff like a new belt, a new lower hose to seal better right at the WP outlet, rework external oil line so it won't be close to header, mount new gauge panel since I had to plumb in a new set and they are just kinda laying on the tranny hump for now. The old Sun Pro oil gauge died and gave quite the scare on oil PSI.

Dash lights are out, might be the dimmer. Reverse lights are out but I think the harness looked like dog crap when I was under the car, don't think it like eing moved after how ever many years it had stayed in position.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Oh and it needs a new accelerator pump. Last time I got one I think they were 7.99

Now it cost about 17 bucks with tax at AZ. :rolleyes:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
I get confused but I think the last time was around the last election, and I'm not talkng about Obama/McCain.

Things went well, I think it just needs some minor stuff like a new belt, a new lower hose to seal better right at the WP outlet, rework external oil line so it won't be close to header, mount new gauge panel since I had to plumb in a new set and they are just kinda laying on the tranny hump for now. The old Sun Pro oil gauge died and gave quite the scare on oil PSI.

Dash lights are out, might be the dimmer. Reverse lights are out but I think the harness looked like dog crap when I was under the car, don't think it like eing moved after how ever many years it had stayed in position.
I have the same problem with the lower hose at the WP. I found that you really have to tighten the snot out of the clamp! And the dash lights too. I took the dimmer switch out and cleaned it up. It can still be touchy on what position that the lights will go on, but they are much brighter.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I really jacked the clamp down and it did better, but still leaked a drop every now and then. I think it is just that the hose is old. It was soft enough I thought but maybe the end was a little brittle. But the parts store was closed so...

In the past, I have just made a jumper and cut the switch out. Those were getting spendy last I knew and I think clean up jobs tend to just get by for a little while longer before they die for good.

mcmopar

Reaction score
If there is any rust or corrosion in the dimmer switch a good cleaning will help a lot. If there is rust in there go get some Evapo Rust at Autozone and dunk the switch in it for about 4-6 hours (checking every 2 hrs or so until its clean - don't over soak it), rinse with water, dry as best you can (a hair dryer works great) and give it one more in and out dunk in the Evapo Rust, then leave it to air dry. I did my cigarette lighter that way. It wasn't working at all but after treating it as mentioned above it works great now. Not that I need it because I don't smoke, but sometimes I do use it to connect to my electric tire pump. Its worth a shot.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Good for you. :thumbsup: I find my first drive in a newly aquired old car to be an adventure. :drive:

My first "drive" in Bambi was to pull her up on the trailer. Between the 4.10's, a junk carburetor with no accelerator pump action, and a clutch that felt like it hadn't been exercised in decades I was certain that I was going to catapult her over the trailer and into the bed of the truck. Absolutely freakin' nerve-racking...

:leave:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
My first drive with Ginger, just trying the name you know high maintenance and all although I liked Maryann more, was on the tires it had been sitting on for 15 years. You would have thought the wheel hadnt been invented yet :lol:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
My first drive with Ginger, just trying the name you know high maintenance and all although I liked Maryann more, was on the tires it had been sitting on for 15 years. You would have thought the wheel hadnt been invented yet :lol:

"Ginger". I LIKE THAT. Good lord are you ever right about HER being high maintenance... :lmao:

Maryann was definitely the keeper between those two... :yesnod:

Does this make you "Sponge Bob Square Wheels"...??? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:jester:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I drove a bunch of old cars through a couple of Kruse auctions years ago. It amazed me that these cars that looked so pretty were such pieces of junk. I had one mid sixties Corvette that had about 1/16th inch of clutch pedal between nothing and engaged fully. The car hardly idled with a nasty sounding cam and it was just about undrivable, especially in a line of cars going through an auction. I stalled it three times for everytime I moved it once. The guy that owned the car got mad and kicked me out and he drove it up.

Whenever I see a B-J auction I think of the POS cars that went across the block and wonder if the same "standards" apply.

Oh yeah... I got a trailer story too.

I sold my son's Saab to a guy that drove 80 miles with a trailer. Since I bought my first car trailer in 1976, I have a little experience loading cars. I offered to drive the car up for him and as I put the car just on to the trailer, the tongue of the trailer came up and almost smacked the guy standing there. They never latched the trailer coupler! No safety chains either as they would have caught the tongue before it went that high.

I stopped and slowly backed off and the tongue went back down and they wrestled it back on the ball. They had driven 80 miles like that!

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Big John said:
I drove a bunch of old cars through a couple of Kruse auctions years ago. It amazed me that these cars that looked so pretty were such pieces of junk. I had one mid sixties Corvette that had about 1/16th inch of clutch pedal between nothing and engaged fully. The car hardly idled with a nasty sounding cam and it was just about undrivable, especially in a line of cars going through an auction. I stalled it three times for everytime I moved it once. The guy that owned the car got mad and kicked me out and he drove it up.

Whenever I see a B-J auction I think of the POS cars that went across the block and wonder if the same "standards" apply.

Oh yeah... I got a trailer story too.

I sold my son's Saab to a guy that drove 80 miles with a trailer. Since I bought my first car trailer in 1976, I have a little experience loading cars. I offered to drive the car up for him and as I put the car just on to the trailer, the tongue of the trailer came up and almost smacked the guy standing there. They never latched the trailer coupler! No safety chains either as they would have caught the tongue before it went that high.

I stopped and slowly backed off and the tongue went back down and they wrestled it back on the ball. They had driven 80 miles like that!

Damn!

My Dad would have busted me in the mouth if I had done that, I was in charge of hooking trailers up around age 12-13.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

"Ginger". I LIKE THAT. Good lord are you ever right about HER being high maintenance... :lmao:

Ray, you son of a , look what John put on my Avitar :toetap:

dobie

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

:lmao:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

And he refused my bribe (a HEFTY $10.00 BTW... :D ) to do so...seems he found some humor in that as well... :lmao:

Well, you know how quickly these things change...I can't imagine you'd be saddled with that for more than 3-4 weeks tops.... :lmao:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
John must be having a good day, got both of us :worship:

:lmao:

He knows we both have a sense of humor...I'm still grinning widely... :D

Back