• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 speed wiper motor.

ashy22

Reaction score
ok guys. I have a problem with the wiper motor.

Not a problem if you live somewhere were you can pretty much guarantee it wont rain. BUT i live in England where it can rain anytime of the year. (and usually does)

It's struggling to move the blades. It will do it with a little help from my hands from the outside.but that aint no use when you are inside the car and its raining.

I am going to take the motor out and test it as per the Plymouth 69 Service manual.

Is it hard to remove? :cheers:

Beekeeper

Reaction score
The hardest part of the job will be removing the wiper linkage from the crank on the motor. This can usually be accessed by removing the radio.

ashy22

Reaction score
The hardest part of the job will be removing the wiper linkage from the crank on the motor. This can usually be accessed by removing the radio.

Thanks Beekeeper. I knew that there would be a "difficult" part to the strip down.

quikbird

Reaction score
take a good look inside first after remove the radio. ( there is a bolt in the back by the way) and see if some of that insulation has not gotten into the linkage and jamming it up.

ashy22

Reaction score
IMG_6356.jpgIMG_6354.jpgIMG_6356.jpgIMG_6356.jpg
take a good look inside first after remove the radio. ( there is a bolt in the back by the way) and see if some of that insulation has not gotten into the linkage and jamming it up.

Thanks for that Quikbird.

before we carry on I am now a little bit confused. It doesn't take much - lol

I thought i had a 2 speed wiper motor. see photo of the switch which has OFF, LOW, HIGH

The picture of the motor itself is a 3 speed (or am I wrong).

Lastly how do I disconnect the terminal block at the bulkhead connection?

It has to pull off somehow but i don't want to break it by pulling it the wrong way as it is only plastic and looks a bit fragile. Are there tabs you need to press in?

IMG_6355.jpg

IMG_6356.jpg

IMG_6354.jpg

Last edited:

droptop

Reaction score
The pic shown is a 3 speed. The switch panel is the same for 2 and 3 speeds. The switch is what is different. Move the switch slowly and you should be able to count the number of speeds that you have. If you have a 2 speed switch and a 3 speed motor, I am surprised that it works at all.

ashy22

Reaction score
The pic shown is a 3 speed. The switch panel is the same for 2 and 3 speeds. The switch is what is different. Move the switch slowly and you should be able to count the number of speeds that you have. If you have a 2 speed switch and a 3 speed motor, I am surprised that it works at all.

You know - I think that's what I've got. A 2 speed switch and a 3 speed motor. No wonder that they didn't ever work properly.

The one installed has OFF, position 1, position 2 (2 speed switch - yes?)

So I need a new 3 speed switch.

Last edited:

Beekeeper

Reaction score
Ashy,
I have a spare 3 speed switch if you need one. I have disassembled and cleaned the contacts.

Beekeeper

Reaction score
On the bulkhead connector there is a tab on each side that you bend out to release the connector. Is this a 4 speed car? If so you gonna find there's extra wires in the plug.
There should be another two prong connector to disconnect them so you can remove
The motor from the car.

Last edited:

ashy22

Reaction score
Ashy,
I have a spare 3 speed switch if you need one. I have disassembled and cleaned the contacts.

That would be great beekeeper. If I need one how much do you want for it and the shipping.

Its a torqueflite 727 car with column shift.

I will remove the switch and the motor at the weekend and give it a good look over.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

ashy22

Reaction score
Ok. I took off both the motor and the switch.

I bench tested the motor as per the manual and it was perfect. Low speed was good, high speed was good and it parked itself all fine

The switch was as thought a 2 speed which is why I have a problem. It has a part number of 2864045.

switch1.jpgswitch2.jpg

switch1.jpg

switch2.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Three speed motor and two speed switch will normally operate in high only and will only park where you turn it off and vice versa, two speed with a three speed switch will operate the same, one speed and parks where it's shut off. Also check to see, on a mismatch, if the crank arm is a three speed crank arm or a two speed, that won't work for you, it'll cause binding of the linkage and make sure you have the correct bushing on the crank arm, black is a two speed bushing, white is a three speed bushing, easiest way to tell is by the color. If you need assist, hit me up email. I've not been real good at answering phones lately because the weather is hotter than hades and I'm not always inside to hear the phone, most of my work to get items on the shelf to build with are done outside, or I blast at my ex partner's shop so I'm sometimes over there...melting LOL

ashy22

Reaction score

ashy22

Reaction score
Three speed motor and two speed switch will normally operate in high only and will only park where you turn it off and vice versa, two speed with a three speed switch will operate the same, one speed and parks where it's shut off. Also check to see, on a mismatch, if the crank arm is a three speed crank arm or a two speed, that won't work for you, it'll cause binding of the linkage and make sure you have the correct bushing on the crank arm, black is a two speed bushing, white is a three speed bushing, easiest way to tell is by the color. If you need assist, hit me up email. I've not been real good at answering phones lately because the weather is hotter than hades and I'm not always inside to hear the phone, most of my work to get items on the shelf to build with are done outside, or I blast at my ex partner's shop so I'm sometimes over there...melting LOL

Thanks
I have a 3 speed motor
a 3 speed crank arm
a 2 speed nylon bushing. (Kim has pointed me in the right direction for the replacement bushing)

and a 2 speed switch (currently talking to a forum member about a sale of a 3 speed replacement)

Ashy22

Back