• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 bent push rod

Jeff 69

Reaction score
I have a 69 383 4 speed Road Runner My oil was black and the motor was running ruff. I took the driver side valve cover off and found on # 7 cyl both push rods were off the rockers. One was bent enough to see and the other was also bent . Do you think I need to change the rockers along with the push rods ?

mcmopar

Reaction score
If the rockers aren't badly scored or damaged I'd just change the pushrods. Now the question is: what caused the pushrods to get bent like that in the first place?

Jeff 69

Reaction score
Do not know. I had a guy rebuild the motor and it never had any power and I only put about 20 miles on it.

droptop

Reaction score
It almost sounds like a hyd lock in cyl 7. Have you had trouble with the carb flooding?

Jeff 69

Reaction score
O yes ! Going to have a mechanic look at it . I can do no more damage.

Thank you for the help

moparchris

Reaction score
Check your valve springs. There are a couple of reasons that the pushrods bend. First over rev it and the valve floats. Second insufficient valve spring retainer to valve guide clearance. Third piston to valve clearance.

Back