• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Cast Crank?

Harryhemi

Reaction score
Guys,
I was wondering if anyone seen or have a cast crank 383? If in fact they do exist, what years? If the harmonic balancer is the same? Torque converter weighted? I know about forged being internally and cast being externally balanced. I've read so many forums and technical articles that all say something different.:brickwall:

droptop

Reaction score
As far as I know, all 383's had forged cranks and all 400's had cast. I have never heard of a 383 cast crank.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I know, all 383's had forged cranks and all 400's had cast. I have never heard of a 383 cast crank.

Lots of rumors/stories out there regarding 400/4-speeds and truck 400's having steel cranks. I've never seen one...just doing my part to perpetuate the rumors... :jester:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
No cast crank 383.

Harryhemi

Reaction score
The reason I'm asking is that I have a vibration when idling and when being revved up. The engine is a 70 two barrel and out of a coronet station wagon. All I did was install a mopar camshaft and a four barrel carb. I changed fan and water pump thinking that would help, but it didn't. Only thing that has me wondering is the torque converter. It's for an internally balanced(non weighted) engine. I might have to pull the oil pan off and look at the crank. This website says it might be cast? http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/motor/36.html

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Let's just say that they did make a 383 cast crank in 1971....

First, you say your engine is a 70. You can verify that by looking at the date code stamped on the engine block. It should be "F".

383.jpg

Next, since you R & R'd the cam, what did the harmonic balancer look like?

This is one for a 400, but it's representative of all your externally balanced cast cranks.

1001050.jpg

Here's one for a internally balanced, forged crank.

1001046.jpg

I'm still not 100% believing they made a cast crank 383.... But there ya go.. That's how to tell.

droptop

Reaction score
I have also heard of the harmonic balancer spinning inside of itself making the engine out of balance.

Harryhemi

Reaction score
The block has the casting date of 70 on the side and the harmonic balancer is the internally balanced one. I have three different looking balancers that all have the same 2658457 casting number. One has a bunch of holes drilled in it from my 71 and the other ones are from 69(like one pictured) & 70 that has one less hole drilled.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The holes are for balancing purposes. A little to heavy, drill some material out!

Ranger

Reaction score
Now THAT's the way to jack a thread.................................... and not have anyone care :thumbsup:

IQ52

Reaction score
Late 2-bbl 383 engines were cast cranks (had two of them). So, it is quite possible that some 383s in 1970 had cast cranks. A '70 cast crank 383 will probably be stamped F383E by the distributor pad. "F" for 1970 model year, "E" for cast crank. 400 and later 440 engines that came from the factory in front of manual transmissions did come with forged internally balanced crankshafts (had several of them).

Quick introduction? Yeah, Okay, our last engine build.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI36YJLu7VI

Harryhemi

Reaction score
I'll have to look at the pad. So if it does have a cast crank, what harmonic balancer is needed? I believe the one that's on it is an original and it looks like the above pic. I don't have the original converter to check. I do know it was a 12" one though. Do i need a different converter or one of those B&M flexplate?

Back