• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Intake Fit

trim88

Reaction score
Hi, Have a low miler (47,000) 383 and have had some leaks into the valley pan. Upon removing and checking the intake fit to the heads, there is a .005 gap between the intake surface and the head on the right front and left rear...... almost like either the heads are not in parallel or the intake is tweaked. I am not experienced in this area, so I guess my question is, is this .005 too much of a gap to close up with the valley pan gasket??? or is that much of a gap pretty much normal?
I have used a straight edge on the intake manifold and both sides are perfectly flat.
Any input would be appreciated, Thanks, trim

earlyrides

Reaction score
It could also be that the heads have been milled which would explain the gap.
Fel-pro also sells gaskets to be used on each side of the intake runners section of the valley pan if you dont want to run the RTV around the runners.

trim88

Reaction score
Thanks George, Droptop and Earlyrides,
Your messages make me feel better. I don't think it's a head mill problem because the intake mates OK with the surface and the bolt holes are OK (the plane of the head and intake meet well, just a bit kittywampus??) :crazy: I just didn't know if that little (.005) would be OK. The valley pan gasket has about .025 of crush...... but your thoughts make me feel a lot better!
Thanks again, trim88 Jim T.

Back