• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Motor Sale Question

zupanj

Reaction score
Guys,

I have to sell the 383 I pulled from my Roadrunner to make some room in the garage. I think it is a fairly new rebuild and is pretty complete except to the parts I cannibalized for my hemi. That is the pulleys, alternator and brackets, bellhousing and flywheel. I would suggest a person use either low gears or a cam replacement on this engine since it's fairly low compression but has a "509" cam. I was told it is a 1969 block but there are no numbers on the oil pan rail and I haven't checked.

My questions are 1. What do you think it's worth? and where would you advertise it? I would prefer local since it would be tough for me to crate it.

I know this is a tough question but I haven't any idea which is why I'm asking.

Jack

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've seen stuck engines, especiall '68-'70 for at least $700, but that has been a year or two. This would be right up Confederates alley, and give his project a boost.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
I've seen stuck engines, especiall '68-'70 for at least $700, but that has been a year or two. This would be right up Confederates alley, and give his project a boost.
Beat me to it Dave, I was thinking the same thing!

dobie

Reaction score
Yeah, for sure. I all to well know the importance of helping guys out. I wouldn't be anywhere without the help of my uncle, another local guy, and the guys here. He may very well be interested in it.

As for the value, I have no clue. I bought my 383 for $700, but it was a complete running motor with only 60,000 original miles. It was a low compression 2 bbl motor from a 1968 Newport. Runs like a dream now though, after I shaved the heads, added a cam, and headers.

:cheers:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Craigslist works well here, but right now there isn't much in the way of money for toys. :popcorn:

zupanj

Reaction score
Yea Bob I know. I couldn't even sell a set of Ping golf clubs for cheap on Craigslist a couple of months ago.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Could be a warranty block with no stampings by the oil pan.........that would make it worth a little more.....not sure what to look for to make sure........

meepbeep69

Reaction score
My spare block is a factory warranty block but a 68. No vin stamps on the side rail by the pan and a maltese cross on the stamp pad.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
meepbeep69 said:
My spare block is a factory warranty block but a 68. No vin stamps on the side rail by the pan and a maltese cross on the stamp pad.
Remember half of the 69s were made in 68 and being a warranty block it may have set around longer, date wise that's a good one :thumbsup:

zupanj

Reaction score
The date is 11-69. I checked after I wrote this.

I could come up with a PN# too if that is of any interest.

moparchris

Reaction score
I would be interested, but you are so far away and shipping would be a lot. Unfortunately rebuilt motors dont hold a lot of water and most people will consider it a good core. I would say $500 to $700 would be a price that will move it. Someone will get a great motor for cheap.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Unfortunately rebuilt motors dont hold a lot of water and most people will consider it a good core. I would say $500 to $700 would be a price that will move it. Someone will get a great motor for cheap.

X2. Even with a bunch of receipts it's like you just threw your money down a hole...especially in this dire economy...

jays69bird

Reaction score
I remember being given a 383,LOL I still have the heads and intake,the crank is in my buddies charger.I saw a 383 in our local swap sheet out of a 68 Newport in the price range you guys are talking about.

6R9Runner

Reaction score
The 383 has great potential as a stroker- with a 440 crank you end up with a 426 wedge in a low deck block. VERY COOL. Someone reading this thread might see the potential as a second engine they can run on the street (or wherever), and keep their nice numbers matching 383 on ice. When I get through my TO DO list I plan on building a stroker from a 400.

CompSyn

Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
The 383 has great potential as a stroker- with a 440 crank you end up with a 426 wedge in a low deck block. VERY COOL. Someone reading this thread might see the potential as a second engine they can run on the street (or wherever), and keep their nice numbers matching 383 on ice. When I get through my TO DO list I plan on building a stroker from a 400.

Good advice. My numbers matching 383 will be stored away in safe keeping. In its place, I'll put in a 400/451 stroker underneath the 383 Road Runner pie pan and 383 call outs on the hood. But don't anybody, it's just between us and everybody else on the world wide web :thumbsup:

Back