• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 oil pan (nice vs. right)

Jim S.

Reaction score
Are there any issues, like the oil strainer, dipstick, etc. if I replace my banged up 402 pan with a 971 that is in nice shape? The Engine in the car has a casting of 2468130-9 LL . I have the numbers matching one on a stand in the shed, it needs rebuilding. I have been following Gary's 383 project closely. I think I'll make a book out of it. Every time I ask a question now, I feel like a bell should ring. (round two)..........Thanks, Jim

A12

Reaction score
Is a 971 oil pan baffled like a 402? 402-inside.jpg

A12

Reaction score
BTW; That's a photo of the new "repo" 402 oil pan and Bill Allphin of A+M Hightech Automotive is offering a group buy price over on the A12 Registry site if you or anyone is interested.....sorry if I shouldn't have said that....

This is an original 402
MikeR

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
Are there any issues, like the oil strainer, dipstick, etc. if I replace my banged up 402 pan with a 971 that is in nice shape? The Engine in the car has a casting of 2468130-9 LL . I have the numbers matching one on a stand in the shed, it needs rebuilding. I have been following Gary's 383 project closely. I think I'll make a book out of it. Every time I ask a question now, I feel like a bell should ring. (round two)..........Thanks, Jim
Don't forget my royalties on that book...............I'm glad you are enjoying it as much as I am...........One of the reasons I tried to be detailed is sometimes I can catch just 1 or 2 things from following someone's posting like that and it is something that I can use time and time again. I thought maybe someone would get the same out of mine or at least if I did something wrong they would tell me..... :lol: So if someone saw something that I did wrong, I guess they are not going to tell me and let me learn the hard way...... :lol: again, I'm glad you're enjoying it..........

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd use it if I were you - it's a five quart pan versus the four quart 402 pan. Do you have the strainer that came with this pan? - as pick-up/strainer number 3614224 is called for with this pan.

Ray

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
A12 said:
BTW; That's a photo of the new "repo" 402 oil pan and Bill Allphin of A+M Hightech Automotive is offering a group buy price over on the A12 Registry site if you or anyone is interested.....sorry if I shouldn't have said that....

Why shouldn't you say that...??? :huh: Seems like good info for anyone needing a 402 pan to me... :D

I may grab one just to throw on the shelf...for the unthinkable day when Bambi and I part company... :eek: In the meantime she's getting a new Milodon Hemi pan and 1/2" pick-up... :banana:

:jester:
ACME

A12

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
A12 said:

Why shouldn't you say that...??? :huh: Seems like good info for anyone needing a 402 pan to me... :D

ACME

I'm new here and some "other" sites get a little huffy or move it if you post what appears to be a for sale ad in the wrong place; but it's a darn good deal if you are looking for a new one or just need a spare. :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
A12 said:
I'm new here and some "other" sites get a little huffy or move it if you post what appears to be a for sale ad in the wrong place; but it's a darn good deal if you are looking for a new one or just need a spare. :thumbsup:

...just another reason why you should spend more time hanging out here with us... :D

BTW...I have some "bent in the left corner LR tags" that I want to show you... :lmao:
Saw that thread over on the LOH Playground the other day and had to laugh...some of the things that some people get wound up about are truly amazing... For the record, Bambi's is painted, looks like it's been that way for 40 years, and will get repainted when I redo the car... :banana:

ACME

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
A12 said:

...just another reason why you should spend more time hanging out here with us... :D

BTW...I have some "bent in the left corner LR tags" that I want to show you... :lmao:
Saw that thread over on the LOH Playground the other day and had to laugh...some of the things that some people get wound up about are truly amazing... For the record, Bambi's is painted, looks like it's been that way for 40 years, and will get repainted when I redo the car... :banana:

ACME

I gotta tell you this one...

When we redid my car so many years ago, I looked at the fender tag and saw the bent corner... Being slightly anal about things that are bent, I straightened mine out and of course painted it. :lol:

Jim S.

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
I'd use it if I were you - it's a five quart pan versus the four quart 402 pan. Do you have the strainer that came with this pan? - as pick-up/strainer number 3614224 is called for with this pan.

Ray
No I do no have the strainer. So that is what I needed to know. I think I can use the same dipstick because the pan area is a little longer, not deeper. Also there doesn't seem to be any issues with the centerlink............. thanks........Jim

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you whay pan mine has, but it takes 8 quarts, but has stock depth, so you're pickup and dipstick should be OK.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
A12 said:
BTW; That's a photo of the new "repo" 402 oil pan and Bill Allphin of A+M Hightech Automotive is offering a group buy price over on the A12 Registry site if you or anyone is interested.

MikeR

Hey Mike - thanks for the head's up on the 402 group buy. I hadn't seen that and might have missed it otherwise. Instead, I'm now in line for a pan and bolt set cheaper than I could have bought just the pan. :thumbsup:

Ray

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Got the repopped 402 pan yesterday...nice piece...going on the shelf...hopefully I'll never need it...

Thanks again, Mike! :thumbsup:

Ray

A12

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Got the repopped 402 pan yesterday...nice piece...going on the shelf...hopefully I'll never need it...

Ray

You're Welcome :thumbsup: and here I thought I was going to be scolded for posting that , I like this site :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :D

MikeR

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
A12 said:
ACME A12 said:

Ray

You're Welcome :thumbsup: and here I thought I was going to be scolded for posting that , I like this site :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :D

MikeR

:cheers:

Back