• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Stroker Kit

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They can update the purple profiles all they want; this does nothing to address the QC issues. I have a "new" P4452761 purple shaft out in the garage that went into the 390 stroker that I built for my wife's Swinger this time last year. Degreed the cam at the time of the build. After break-in this was the worst performing engine that I have EVER been around. I could only assume that I had made an error. Not my first rodeo, so I was devistated. After chasing all of the usual culprits, I reluctantly tore the front end and top end apart in the car. Rechecked, re-degreed, and then just for my own sanity - did it all over again. Fired it up again. Same weak-kneed, ill-mannered POS. At this point it was fortunate that I am not a fire arm owner. Called the Mopar Performance Hotline seeking help. They tried to tell me that I had improperly mapped the advance curve. Improperly mapped??? The POS wouldn't idle with less that 22* initial advance! Started digging around on the internet, called Comp, Summit, & Lunati. Seems issues with these camshafts were RAMPANT. Summit told me that if I had conferred with them first in the first place they would have steered me away from the PS for just that reason. Ordered a Comp XE268H kit from Summit. Ripped that purple piece of junk out of there and set up the XE. WHOLE NEW BALL GAME. This thing is intended only to turn 5,500 - not a race engine - and it performs FLAWLESSLY off idle to redline - just like I had envisioned. FINALLY.

I'm not a PS-hater - one of my all-time favorite camshafts is a .572"/296* (Racer Brown designed) PS that I used 25-28 years ago to terroize the streets in my F5 340 Duster. Just have my own very personal RECENT experience and would spare others from the headache and heartache. You know the adage: Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me. Needless to say, I won't be shamed.

If you are really interested in modern camshaft technology you might enjoy this thread that includes a Q&A with Harold Brookshire - founder of Ultradyne (I run a custom Ultradyne mechanical roller in my Z-28 - all I can say is "Fabulous!") and the father of Lunati's line of Voodoo cams. Next street engine I build (assuming it uses a hydraulic flat tappet) will get a Voodoo shaft. I apparently left some ponies on the table by installing XEs in the LAs in my '74 Duster and the Swinger. Please note his comments on the Voodoos for Mopars: "the lobes for the 340 & 440 Chryslers are true Chrysler designs, for the .904" tappet."

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/printthread.php?t=18213

By the way, the P4452761 makes for a wonderful door stop. :D

:cents:
Ray

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
I run a custom Ultradyne mechanical roller in my Z-28 - all I can say is "Fabulous!

george-takei-set-phaser-to-fabuous.jpg

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not exactly the "Fabulous" that I was going for...but that's damned funny...

Next time I'll use "Outstanding" or "Wicked"...and we'll see what you can come up with then...

:jester:
Ray

Back