• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Stroker

rollie

Reaction score
Has anyone done business or bought an engine rom Precision Race Engines in McMinnville TN ?? Looking for some feedback good or bad.

May be spending a bunch on a 383 Stroker Crate.

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
Is it a Mopar 383 stroked to whatever? Or a chevy 350 stroked to a 383? typically they call the engine by its stroked displacement, not original displacement, for example mopar 408 stroker, or ford 343. I'd be weary of a stroked mopar 383 cause most just wont bother doing it since a stroked 440 is comparable price wise and, has far more parts availability and gives much greater displacement gains. Just my :cents:

rollie

Reaction score
Engine is a 383 B Block stroked to 496 .........560 hp and 600 t ...........nicely done.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If I were to do a R-block I would think about starting with a 400 block and stroke it. Nothing wrong with the 383 but if your going to play well then play.

rollie

Reaction score
Yup ....that's also been suggested. Will look at that option as well. Thanks

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
I have never heard or used anything from Precision engine, but do have a 479ci/383 based 0.040" over 4.290" bore & a 4.15" stroke crank... In my current car... I've built several of them now too, among many other wedges & hemi's, for the racetrack & street, Blown/Injected & Naturally aspirated, single & multiple carb combos... a 470ci 3.95" stroke, offset ground 440 crankshaft b-main specs & 2" rod journals {use BBC rods end sizes}, a 431ci 383 0.030" over 4.280" bore, 440 crank 3.75" std. stroke, b-spec ground the mains & counter weight radius down to 7.120" {7.20" max dia.}, also had a 4.25" stroke combo in a 383 block {the blocks are easy to find & cheap usually}, I also always used a block/pan rail girdle on any stroker combo, for added strength, in a Low deck B or tall deck RB engine... But honestly IMHFO the Low deck B series 400ci is a better block, slightly better/stronger main web strength {smaller main bore than the RB blocks & bigger 4.34" std cylinder bore}, even than the 440 RB tall deck block {you could run a longer rod thou, for better rod to stroke ratios, in a 413-426-440 RB block} & 400ci B-Low deck has a much bigger bore 4.25"/383 std vs 4.34"/400 std bore to start with, to gain a few more cubes 0.90" bigger... I stayed with the 383 block in my current car/build just because I wanted to maintain the #'s matching parts, but it's not a necessity really, it was more of a personal choice, the 400 internal parts are cheaper too, more piston choices available, than for 383 you more than likely will need custom pistons driving the cost up some... Nothing wrong with a stroked 383 B-series low deck Wedge, I've gone 8.58 @156mph with a one on N20, went 9.77 @ 135mph N/A, full roller alum. head race motor/727tf, they can/will make plenty of power... just for the sake of saying it, for those that won't know,The smaller 4.25" bore could limit intake valve size {to 2.14" with out nothing the edge of the bore} & cylinder head flows, the heads ultimately flow better, especially when ported, flowing into a larger bore, you can fit a larger valve, into a lager bore too, with out the intake valve being shrouded slightly @ higher lifts.... good luck

Last edited:

Budnicks

Reaction score
Engine is a 383 B Block stroked to 496 .........560 hp and 600 t ...........nicely done.

that's a 383 with 0.060" over {4.31"} bore & a 4.25" stroke... CI equation is; bore diam. in inches X bore diam. in inches X stroke in inches # of cylinders X 0.7854 = Cubic Inches.... example of the engine above; 4.31" bore X 4.31" bore X 8 X 4.25" stroke X 0.7854 = 496.04874ci

rollie

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. My understanding is that this B block engine is bored 4.280 and has a 4.250 stroke and 84cc combustion chambers.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I were to do a R-block I would think about starting with a 400 block and stroke it. Nothing wrong with the 383 but if your going to play well then play.

I have an early 400 block that I have been saving for years...just in case...:groucho:

69383RR

Reaction score
I have never heard or used anything from Precision engine, but do have a 479ci/383 based 0.040" over 4.290" bore & a 4.15" stroke crank... In my current car... I've built several of them now too, among many other wedges & hemi's, for the racetrack & street, Blown/Injected & Naturally aspirated, single & multiple carb combos... a 470ci 3.95" stroke, offset ground 440 crankshaft b-main specs & 2" rod journals {use BBC rods end sizes}, a 431ci 383 0.030" over 4.280" bore, 440 crank 3.75" std. stroke, b-spec ground the mains & counter weight radius down to 7.120" {7.20" max dia.}, also had a 4.25" stroke combo in a 383 block {the blocks are easy to find & cheap usually}, I also always used a block/pan rail girdle on any stroker combo, for added strength, in a Low deck B or tall deck RB engine... But honestly IMHFO the Low deck B series 400ci is a better block, slightly better/stronger main web strength {smaller main bore than the RB blocks & bigger 4.34" std cylinder bore}, even than the 440 RB tall deck block {you could run a longer rod thou, for better rod to stroke ratios, in a 413-426-440 RB block} & 400ci B-Low deck has a much bigger bore 4.25"/383 std vs 4.34"/400 std bore to start with, to gain a few more cubes 0.90" bigger... I stayed with the 383 block in my current car/build just because I wanted to maintain the #'s matching parts, but it's not a necessity really, it was more of a personal choice, the 400 internal parts are cheaper too, more piston choices available, than for 383 you more than likely will need custom pistons driving the cost up some... Nothing wrong with a stroked 383 B-series low deck Wedge, I've gone 8.58 @156mph with a one on N20, went 9.77 @ 135mph N/A, full roller alum. head race motor/727tf, they can/will make plenty of power... just for the sake of saying it, for those that won't know,The smaller 4.25" bore could limit intake valve size {to 2.14" with out nothing the edge of the bore} & cylinder head flows, the heads ultimately flow better, especially when ported, flowing into a larger bore, you can fit a larger valve, into a lager bore too, with out the intake valve being shrouded slightly @ higher lifts.... good luck

WOW ! that's a mouth full , ok now I'm impressed !

Budnicks

Reaction score
WOW ! that's a mouth full , ok now I'm impressed !

Mouth-full yeah... I get a little overly anal at times....LOL... as if you couldn't tell... For those that don't know me... I'm an old/long time Mopar guy, grew up on them, my step dad was the go to neighborhood racer/car guy, I listened well usually... I got my 1st 68 Charger R/T from the hot divorcee' neighbor lady @ 15 y/o for $350 in 1974, been buying & building cars of many makes & styles since... I'm die hard old drag racer, that rarely races anymore, money & life gets in the way now, but I still like to share the knowledge, pay it forward so to speak, like others did for me, sometimes anyway...LOL...

inri

Reaction score
@Budnicks,

Just an FYI, based on the number of posts you have so far on this forum, you should be a "Senior" member on here within your first month (100 posts). If you're real good, within 2 weeks!

@Mods, what is the record for a member becoming a "Senor" member in the shortest time frame? LOL

69383RR

Reaction score
Mouth-full yeah... I get a little overly anal at times....LOL... as if you couldn't tell... For those that don't know me... I'm an old/long time Mopar guy, grew up on them, my step dad was the go to neighborhood racer/car guy, I listened well usually... I got my 1st 68 Charger R/T from the hot divorcee' neighbor lady @ 15 y/o for $350 in 1974, been buying & building cars of many makes & styles since... I'm die hard old drag racer, that rarely races anymore, money & life gets in the way now, but I still like to share the knowledge, pay it forward so to speak, like others did for me, sometimes anyway...LOL...
Cool story !
My rr will be done soon , as all it needs now is paint . Waiting in the wings is my 68 Charger that I cant wait to get my hands on. I was wondering if you can recommend a good forum to post the building process .
She will be the dark horse "Eclipse" , I guess I'm still a kid at heart

197009_zps107274b7.gif

MoreScoop006_zps18541398.gif

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

What kind of service did you provide the hot neighbor lady to get it for $350 :groucho::groucho::groucho:

Back