• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Valve cover question

Jim S.

Reaction score
Could someone tell me what the purpose is of the baffles that are spot welded to the inside of the valve covers are for? When I got my RR back in 2002, they had been removed because the rockers were hitting them in a couple of areas. All I have done (other than paint) to the valve covers is to fashion a small aluminum disc to keep oil from splashing up into the oil filler/breather cap. I have the old baffles and thinking maybe they should be spot welded back in and worked so the rockers do not hit them. Are they really important?....Thanks in advance.

mcmopar

Reaction score
They are baffles to keep the oil from getting to the breather and pcv valve. If you've installed baffles to replace the ones that were removed I'd give them a shot and see if they work ok before trying to put the original baffle back in. The MP cast aluminum covers I have didn't come with baffles either but they had mounting studs so that you could install your own - which I did. I fashioned them from a piece of scrap sheet metal I had laying around. They aren't the full length or width of the valve cover but they work just fine.

Back