• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Windage Tray

trim88

Reaction score
Hi, Have a 69 RR w/383 HP engine. Just wondering if all 383 HP engines have a windage tray as I found in mine?
Thanks, trim

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
did a non HP motor have a big in-take that covered it all ?
Son, I think he is referring to the one in the oil pan :yesnod:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
69hemibeep said:
moparstuart said:
did a non HP motor have a big in-take that covered it all ?
Son, I think he is referring to the one in the oil pan :yesnod:
ok yeah i get that shit confused got you now
We all have our moments, wait till you get older :crazy:

trim88

Reaction score
Thanks All, I was kinda surprised when I pulled the engine and removed the pan. It had 2 cork gaskets and I swear the bolts could be taken off with my fingers, but luckily didn't have any leaks yet. I am basically just trying to detail the engine compartment but the prior owner told me it had been balanced and blue printed but didn't have the papers.... so wanted to look at the bottom end. Sure enough the rod caps had been ground down, apparently for balancing. Without removing the timing cover/or complete tear down is there a way to tell if the cam has been changed?
trim

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
trim88 said:
Thanks All, I was kinda surprised when I pulled the engine and removed the pan. It had 2 cork gaskets and I swear the bolts could be taken off with my fingers, but luckily didn't have any leaks yet. I am basically just trying to detail the engine compartment but the prior owner told me it had been balanced and blue printed but didn't have the papers.... so wanted to look at the bottom end. Sure enough the rod caps had been ground down, apparently for balancing. Without removing the timing cover/or complete tear down is there a way to tell if the cam has been changed?
trim

Take the valve cover off and use a dial indicator to measure the valve lift. Duration can be done that way too, but it's more involved.

trim88

Reaction score
Thanks Big John, I tried that but it didn't seem right ....so then I thought maybe it's the hydralic lifters making some difference. Will the hydraulics cause a funny reading?

moparchris

Reaction score
Yes. With an adjustable rocker you can bottom out the hydraulic lifter and get a better reading.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Windage trays were only placed into the HP 383's IIRC. I do not believe a 2 bbl 383 had one.

A31PKG

Reaction score
I agree, one of the selling points for the new "Road Runner engine" was the addition of the windage tray.

Back