• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 spd Yoke Bushing

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
rrunr69 said:
I had the same vibration on my RR after 37 years of hibernation. Had mechanics tell me it's in the clutch, rear end, drive shaft and transmission. Found a great mechanic and he took it for a ride and told me that it's the transmission mount. A $15 item. He replaced it and showed me how the vibration is happening. All gone now. No more vibration. :beep:
That one gets overlooked the most and you were the first to mention it :yesnod:

:yesnod: Good one to check!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
while your under the car, check any related bolts to make sure they're tight. bell to engine,trans to bell, trans mount,etc. My first mopar was a '73 340 4 speed road runner. the PO pounded on it alot. about a month after I got it, it developed a bad shuder whenever I let the clutch out to get moving. figured the clutch was fried. found out all the bolts from the bell to the engine were loose. tighten them up and shudder went away.

A31PKG

Reaction score
A failed trans insulator (mount) could definitely allow driveline vibrations to be transferred into the passenger compartment. Even a perfect drivetrain will cause some vibration at times. The insulator is designed to, well, insulate these characteristic vibrations. However, if there was a bad trans bearing or driveshaft issue, a new insulator would only mask it.

moparchris

Reaction score
Trans mounts will vibrate pretty much any time the trans is at rest and the trans lays down on the crossmember. It also wouldn't vibrate when the clutch is pushed in. What he describes doesn't sound like the trans mount. Of course that doesn't mean he shouldn't check it.

trim88

Reaction score
YEA!... Had the driveline sandblasted, put in new Spicer U-joints (although the old Spicer's looked OK...all the needle bearings were good) and then had it balanced with the yoke and Presto, 90% of vibration is gone! YA HOO! I think the rest is suspension and tire noise. Thanks to all for the help!, Jim

They actually added quite a bit of weight, about a 1 1/2" fairly thick washer + 5/8" washer at one end and a 1" washer at the other end.

Oh yea, put in a new yoke too. The old one, which I am keeping, had scuff marks from the Tranny bushing which leads to why I'm removing the tranny (along with the engine) and replacing the bushing.....and maybe more???

Back