• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed guys in here

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Yesterday, my clutch disc was stuck to the flywheel. Car has been sitting for years. Got a buddy to push the pedal while I popped it loose.

After that, it worked OK but I heard a sound like sandpaper when slipping it to back out etc. I don't remember it ever doing that before. The TOB doesn't make noise idling in neutral. I just hear it when moving at slow speeds getting moving.

I didn't think it slipped when taking off but the carb needs some TLC so I didn't get to put much power to it getting rolling.

droptop

Reaction score
Sounds like there is rust on the fly wheel. Put a few miles on it, and it should clear up.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
definatly some rust on the flywheel and plate. just like your drums and rotors get rusty from sitting. just a couple drives and it;ll be ok.

Chuck

Reaction score
Anyone,
I need a breakdown diagram of the 4-speed shifter. Not the rods and such, but the actual innards. I have mine apart and want to know if any parts are missing. Searched the web in vain. Thanks, Chuck

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Chuck said:
Anyone,
I need a breakdown diagram of the 4-speed shifter. Not the rods and such, but the actual innards. I have mine apart and want to know if any parts are missing. Searched the web in vain. Thanks, Chuck
Hey there Chuck, welcome to the nest. First why don't you tell us about yourself, and post some picturs of your car. Second, go to the reference section. There you'll find links to the manuals that should have the info you're looking for.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:
The best way to eliminate this would be a column shifted automatic... like mine... :banana:
You know Chris, he could keep the floor shift look with a center console and floor shifted automatic, like my car. :devil:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Back