• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 Spped Conversion

martin69rr

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am looking for a bit of technical help here. I have just got hold of a manual 4 speed and I want to put it into mine to put it back to its original spec. My question is are the props different lengths on the auto and manual. If so does anyone know the measurements.
Martin

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I'm not sure, to answer your question. But, I will measure mine tomorrow and get you the dimension from cl of u-joint to cl of u-joint.......

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Martin, some one will chime in with the info, they maybe different length and different mounts also. I am not sure if the spline count is the same either. :huh:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
George ought to know all of this off of the top of his head; he's already done the conversion... Remember: It's manly to have manual steering and brakes but a slush box doesn't factor into the equation... :lol: :acme: :lol:

:jester:

dobie

Reaction score
The driveshaft should be the same length. Or, at least mine was. My car was an auto originally and I put a 4 speed in it. Now, before I bought the car, a previous owner may have already changed out the driveshaft. The guy I bought it from didn't, but no clue on the owner's before.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
George ought to know all of this off of the top of his head; he's already done the conversion... Remember: It's manly to have manual steering and brakes but a slush box doesn't factor into the equation... :lol: :acme: :lol:

off the top of my head i think it about the same......bolt it all up and put the drive shaft....prop in.....you should have at least 3/4 to 1 inch clearance....in and out movement on the tranny yoke....the rear end has to be jacked up so the car sits on the rear leaf springs to get the correct clearance measurement....if not you can call up a driveshaft place.....summit/jegs and have a shaft made up....they will instruct you on where to take measurements

V269

Reaction score
Martin, if your car is a 383 engine car with the 8 3/4" rear axle the drive shaft is the same for both 4-speed's and auto's. The length is 51 1/2 " measured center to center of the eye hole of the yoke. The dia. of the shaft is 3". It should also have the large u-joint which measure's 2 5/8". This is the one I just put in my 383 4-speed car.

If the car is a 426 or 440 4-speed or auto with the dana 9 3/4" axle the shaft is 50.39" long and 3 1/4" in dia. Also large u-joint.

If it is 426 or 440 auto with the 8 3/4" axle the shaft is the same as the 383 measurements listed above.

Hope this help's, Ken. :thumbsup:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
just to throw my two cents in, a 69 plymouth b body drive shaft is a different length than a 69 dodge b body. they have a different wheel base. the dodge is longer.

martin69rr

Reaction score
Well done guys with all this brain power we could rule the world. That has helped me out a lot. :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Just a little trivia, do you know why Dodge gets the longer drive line? I figured it out in a funny way :basketcase:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Just a little trivia, do you know why Dodge gets the longer drive line? I figured it out in a funny way :basketcase:

Because it was the higher priced car line?

This is also true of the A-Bodies BTW. The extra 1" can be found in the floorboard in the rear passengers' footwell area. A fuel line for a Plymouth won't fit the Dodge because of this...ask me how I know... :lol:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
The front leaf spring mount is longer, don't ask me how I know :lol:

A guy at the Garlits show told me that this is also why the spalsh shields don't interchange between the Coronets and the Satellites/Belvederes. There is a stand-off on one of the attaching points about halfway up that prevents Dodge usage on the Plymouth. He showed me this on the Dodge version he was trying to sell - and sure enough when I got one off of a Belvedere it was not there...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I always figured the slipped the K-frame forward a bit, but your right about the slash shields, its so they could move the wheel opening forward a tad on the fender.

Back