• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 6-BBL with Trick Flow heads

IQ52

Reaction score
Forgive me, I'm cheating a bit, this isn't for a Road Runner, but it's close.........a '69 GTX.

We ran it with Edelbrock Performer RPM and Edelbrock Victor intakes, but spent most of the time with the 6-BBL because that is what the owner is running.

It's a pump gas 9.9:1 compression .030" over 440 with a stock forged crank, a custom solid roller that is equal to a 232/236 @ .050 hydraulic roller and as mentioned, using the new 240 CNC Trick Flow heads.

With the 6-BBL it made 560 LB-FT of torque and 590HP.

I've added a couple of pictures of the engine and one of the torque and horsepower curves this engine produces.

Tim Borrall 440 054.jpgTim Borrall 440 050.jpgTim Borrall 440 078.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI36YJLu7VI

Tim Borrall 440 054.jpg

Tim Borrall 440 050.jpg

Tim Borrall 440 078.jpg

stevo

Reaction score
Wow very impressive numbers, for basically a stock 440.
sounds like you have a very balanced combo! cam, heads, carbs all working together to give the motor just what it needs!
What timing are you running?

IQ52

Reaction score
The new Trick Flow heads are working pretty good and are a big part of the reason we are getting another 200 horsepower more than a stock 440 6-BBL. We are still staying in the 38 degrees total range. The engine is just a cam and intake change away from another 100-120 horsepower.

quikbird

Reaction score
limits on main bearing capwalk is about 600 hp/ if keep going might consider a stud girdle for it. :cents:

IQ52

Reaction score
Going no place else with it. This is the limit for this build. It's going into the owner's GTX and he is doing his cruising around and the occasional drag run and that is it. Under those circumstances it probably won't see the high side of 500 HP. Even then it would have to be at full throttle, full load at 4,900 RPM and it is doubtful it would hook up to the road even in high gear with the stock suspension.

moparchris

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this! I just got a mailer from Summit racing and they had the TFS heads on the cover (they also sell a top end all in one kit with cam) but I was wondering how they would work with the stock six pack and you answered that question with one post. Thanks again, I think I might buy a set.

Back