• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 E Street Head question

SgtLee511

Reaction score
I just had a short block 440 completed, long story but the short of it is this, I found out during the machine shop rebuild that this engine had a set of low compression flat tops installed, to counter this my machine shop took 20 thousands off the block, to help in raising the compression to my goal of 10.0. Im planning to the use E street heads, my machinist Chevy Guy says we need to find out what push rods to use, I plan on using a Comp Cam High Energy .507 as my camshaft. Will the pushrods be affected in this build, I figured stock would do?, I was hoping to use stock valve train, any suggestions here? I dont have any head bolts for those E Street Heads, where do I look for those?

Last edited:

quikbird

Reaction score
Push rods will be affected. You now have an intake matching problem as well. The end rails are now higher compared to the deck than they were. The heads will sit a hair closer together and intake will not drop into position. Smith brothers is good place to get pushrods. Head bolts summit or jegs arp makes complete set. Look closely at the pushrods cup of the rockers. If you see wear get a new set. They tend to punch through at the wear spot.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Depends also on the year of the block and crank. Some of the later smogers were .050 or better below deck

SgtLee511

Reaction score
1969 Block, Im changing to the 84CC Performer RPM heads in the build, this is for my son in laws 72 Charger, I see the point about the intake, Ill check on Smith Brothers push rod availability...........I just not real familiar with these Big Blocks...

quikbird

Reaction score
those heads are a good choice. have heard good things about them. they will flow much better than the stock ones so make sure your intake is up to the challenge. I know they make a intake matched to those heads. it would need machined slightly to fit correctly. you haven't mentioned it yet but a set of headers is the other side of the equation to make those heads work well. 1 7/8 inch diameter size should do fine. there are a couple books out there on how to build big block mopars. one of those might be a good source of knowledge to help you out.

Back