• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 rebuild

69road440runner

Reaction score
I have a 1972 440 engine that I had bored to .030 for stock rebuild using cast pistons. It was not assembled, It was not sonic tested. I am now changing my mind on this rebuild. I want to build a street/strip engine for racing. I want to build a 505 stroker. Should I have it sonic tested, and will the forged pistons work in the bores.

quikbird

Reaction score
Sonic and magnaflux . If going strip partially then need better tolerances than stock. Most stroker kits come with all parts needed for short block and balanced etc. will probably need to relieve each cylinder slightly for throw, might need to clearance oil pick up as well. Will need align honed etc.

Goon

Reaction score
Yes have it magnaflux and sonic tested
I think .030 over will make it a 493 cube. just had mine done in Oct. makes 585hp and 622 ft lbs of torque on pump gas, with Edelbrock performer heads. Puts you back in your seat.

Coyote

Reaction score
GOOD (!) machine shop that is familiar with performance builds. Deck surfaces equidistant from crank and flat, align hone, more piston to wall clearance, bores perpendicular to crank center line, check clearances everywhere(!) twice, you can't get it CLEAN enough for assembly!

69road440runner

Reaction score
I am leaning towards the eagle crank kit. I bought the edelbrock rpm 84cc aluminum heads. I wish I would of bought the ones that are 79cc for a better increase in compression. O well I am struck with the 84cc. I don't know what type of cam to go with yet, hydraulic flat tappet or solid, or roller.

quikbird

Reaction score
Lots of choices here. Flat tappets will work fine, just use the right oil, I used a hydraulic roller on mine. Take advantage of that larger lifter size of mopars. With the larger head talk with eagle about which pistons and whether might want one a little taller to compensate. 440 source has good price on stroker kit. I used the Indy cylinder ez-1 heads, call comp cam when get rotating assembly figured out and they can help with cam selection. Hope that helped.:jester:

Goon

Reaction score
I would go with the Eagle rotating assembly. Here is the main parts on my engine build. Is a 493 cid. 10.37 compression, great for premium gas 92 or 93 with/without ethanol.
585.24 hp at 5500rpm 622.8 lbft at 4300 rpm Builder did 23 pulls on dyno. Ready to drop in then.
Any other ? let me know.
Good luck on engine build.
Diamond Pistons (52415 13cc dished) .030 bore
Edelbrock Rpm head with the 84cc(82.4 after milling)
Comp 3/8 pushrods 9.4" #7755 Hitech
Mopar single plane intake port matched
Holly 950 HP with 1" spacer
Comp Cam Pro Magnum roller rockers 1.5(no longer made)
Comp Cam valve spring (part# comp977)
Comp Cam Shaft Solid (part# Comp2945) .525 lift exh & int

IQ52

Reaction score
Yep, have it sonic tested first. Also, before you buy the stroker kit, have a deck plate bolted on and and have the bores measured first to see if they are the correct size for .030" over forged pistons. You may have to go to .040".

The Comp Cams Pro Magnum roller rockers are good units. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-1621-16/overview/make/dodge And are still available.

We just built a 505 for a customer. Our ported Edelbrock RPM cylinder heads, 950 cfm Quick Fuel, Torker II intake (recommend a ported dual plane Edelbrock RPM intake and figure on another 25-30 LB-FT of torque), 10.3:1 compression, Custom Comp Cams solid street roller. On 91 octane it made 626 LB-FT of Torque and then 650 HP @ 5,900 rpm.

Now days if we are buying heads for a new build I wouldn't use anything other than the new 240cc Trick Flow heads.

Goon

Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome engine. Would have went with Trick Flow, but already had the Edelbrock, and was on a budget

IQ52

Reaction score
Good thinking. It's very wise to use the parts you already have and keep to the budget.

Back