• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Six pack air cleaner lid question

A12

Reaction score
It's Ray...but as you already outlined you are running on empty so we'll gloss over that... :lol:

Always interesting to hear stories of the New York A12 oddities...it's kind of like the Bermuda Triangle for A12s... :basketcase:

Oh :disillusionment::shame: I rest my face......I mean case. I can call you Ray or I can call you J but I won't call you Mr. John anytime soon. Apologies Ray.

A12

Reaction score
that guy was from Youngstown,Ohio, about an hour from me.

Wow that fits right into this with my A12 RAOAD RUNNER that ended up originally being sold to a Baldwinsville, NY first owner and ending up on a Youngstown, Ohio used car lot and sold to the second owner that had it for over two decades. Of course what would you expect the name of the young town used car dealership to be with a coyote dusting Road Runner for sale on the lot.........wait for it.........

ACME MOTORS (Used Cars)......................, NO LIE, I'll be back with the proof

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Wow that fits right into this with my A12 RAOAD RUNNER that ended up originally being sold to a Baldwinsville, NY first owner and ending up on a Youngstown, Ohio used car lot and sold to the second owner that had it for over two decades. Of course what would you expect the name of the young town used car dealership to be with a coyote dusting Road Runner for sale on the lot.........wait for it.........

ACME MOTORS (Used Cars)......................, NO LIE, I'll be back with the proof

Do you have the name of who bought the car new? I know we spoke about the dealership that sold it... But I don't remember the name.

A12

Reaction score
Do you have the name of who bought the car new? I know we spoke about the dealership that sold it... But I don't remember the name.

No I don't have his name, sadly. I've been trying to find him. A friend had a friend/LEO run the VIN and traced it back to the buyer's hometown of Baldwinsville, NY. I wasn't going to get anymore info than that and lucky to have received the hometown information. I was in (East) Syracuse last October to pick up some vintage motorcycles (dirt bikes) for my friend's (that got me the info on my A12 no less) collection and the seller's dad was a Chrysler employee retiree. We didn't have much time to talk but still have his number. I headed up to Baldwinsville to the Chevy dealership that has been there for 93 years and still family owned and talked with several older employees there and got three good leads. Headed down the road to a lead Lou's Car Care and Lou Sr. was in Italy so I got their email and contact from Lou Jr. to send some photos of the A12. Spoke with a Moparts member that spent a lot of time in the area and he brought up Pepper Plymouth, Sam Dell, Pratt Plymouth and Lewis-Goodman (Dodge) - Lou or Lew Goodman is a name and contact I have too. Just haven't had time to check anything out but I better get on it soon. Also Laconte (sp?) Auto Sales, and Val's Auto Sales...

I think my A12 Road Runner should be easy to remember being in Y4 Spanish Gold Metallic with a black vinyl roof but just haven't found anyone that does. But the search is one of the fun parts of this hobby whether it's for parts, info or history......I love this hobby.

Mike

Big John

Reaction score
Val's was a Dodge dealer and Lewis Goodman was a C-P dealer... Goodman sold more Chryslers and Imperials though... Never saw many performance cars on their lot. Pepper's had a few guys working there that were heavy into racing and they would have known if that car came through there.. But I think they all have passed. Sam Dell was also a Dodge dealer... Mob ties, owned all the "floor plan". Sam Jr. put the place up his nose.

LaConte? No idea. No Plymouth or Mopar dealers in Baldswinville. My A12 came from Nastri in Weedsport. I've talked to people that remember the car from the showroom.

I have one guy that I can ask the next time I see him. I think his GTX (he still has it!) came out of Pepper's. He might know.

Big John

Reaction score
Thanks John,

Mike

Here's just a shot in the dark.... Did your car still have the hood and six barrel setup when you got it?

A12

Reaction score
Here's just a shot in the dark.... Did your car still have the hood and six barrel setup when you got it?

Not when I got it but that's one of my long stories. When it was in Youngstown the car was a complete A12 Road Runner complete with original Lift-Off-Hood, original intake, carbs, etc., It still to this day has the original 4.10 A12 specific Dana, Fender tag (unpainted and un-creased/bent corner:tickled_pink:) and radiator support, trunk stamping, shimed LCA's. As you can see from the 1971 title the "M" is in place so for sure it's an A12 and was when it showed up in Youngstown. I spoke with Bob Frederick Jr. the owner('s son) now owner of looooong time Frederick Dodge in Boardman, Ohio just south of Youngstown and he knew the car back in the day and it had a bad@ss street racing history by the Acme Motors buyer starting in March of '71. Spoke with a friend of the Youngstown street racer Edward Agee years back and he along with Bob Fredrick and GaryT (aka gtsuperbee, that bought the car before I did btw) and all of them confirmed the story that GaryT told me about what happened to the original hood and original engine. The hood was run over by a Chevelle that lost to the A12 in a street race when the A12 owner forgot to re-pin it. That was the first thing that Bob Frederick told me when I talked to him and without asking about it. The loss of the original hood was the final death of the original engine eventually as it was run without an air filter and steel hood. GaryT bought it, sold or did a trade deal with Scott-S (aka r4sox) and I ended up with it in the mid-90's from Scott. I got in contact with GaryT back then and Galen Govier and they all confirmed the odd GTX trim to at least '71 and the rear mounted antenna and its original factory components. When I got it from ScottS he had already located an original intake and date correct original set of carbs, a Year One A12 hood. I later found an original A12 hood from a drummer for a rock band (Queens of the Stone Age) in California, went out there and hung out for a day and then had it shipped back to Ohio from California by a friend/driver for our race team semi. Found a 054 radiator back in the '90's, a complete long block 440 HP engine that was an over the counter purchase back in '69, a '69 727 from a Super Bee from flypaper (moparts) back then too. Have what I think to be 99.9% of everything to finish it but time and motivation. Got sidetracked with a couple of Road Runners ('68 and '69's), a '69 4-speed GTX and then found by odd happenings the car I originally wanted to buy back in 1969, a '69 Dart GTS 440 M-Code in the colors I was trying to order it in back then.

Oh and there you have my looooooog answer to your short question of " Did your car still have the hood and six barrel setup when you got it?" I've had friends tell people "don't ever ask Mike what time it is, he'll end up telling you how a watch in made" :shame:

MikeR

Last edited:

Big John

Reaction score
Here's why I ask... Back in the 70's, I bought a hood from the late Dave Johnson for the car I was drag racing.

The story was that the hood came from a local car that the owner didn't want the 6 barrel setup any longer. A local shop switched hoods and intake etc. The car became a regular Roadrunner, albeit a 440 4bbl Roadrunner. I hung onto that hood for a long time. It was on and off my A12 as the "backup" hood... and went with the car.

I just remembered that and thought "what the heck, you never know".

Back