• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 vs 383

ArmyInspector

Reaction score
Ok right now I have a running 383, by the numbers its a 68 block, not original to the car with original heads, a torker intake and a holley 750. Do not know if a cam was put in. I picked up a 72 440 complete that will have to hit the machine shop. From what I read the heads are junk and not sure of the crank. So I can pick up cast iron heads or go aluminum, cam, new intake, carb. I am a novice, car was originally a 383 car but the original engine is long gone, so forget the numbers matching. Right now the 383 is hooked up to a 727. Probably going to keep the 727, would you go with the 440 or the 383.

A31PKG

Reaction score
Depends what you want to do with it? I say keep the 383 in it while you build a mild stroker out of the 440!
:thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ArmyInspector said:
Ok right now I have a running 383, by the numbers its a 68 block, not original to the car with original heads, a torker intake and a holley 750. Do not know if a cam was put in. I picked up a 72 440 complete that will have to hit the machine shop. From what I read the heads are junk and not sure of the crank. So I can pick up cast iron heads or go aluminum, cam, new intake, carb. I am a novice, car was originally a 383 car but the original engine is long gone, so forget the numbers matching. Right now the 383 is hooked up to a 727. Probably going to keep the 727, would you go with the 440 or the 383.
Have you checked the VIN stamped on the block near the passenger side motor mount? A 68 casting was used in some 69 cars. Just don't want to have you loose a #s match block. :yesnod:

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Actually you will find 68 383's in 69 runners. What can I say about 383 vs 440, I like both engines, however if you want more horses go with the 440.

csuk9

Reaction score
I think if you need to rebuild both motors, then you might as well go with more cubic inches for the same money. But do your research on the 383 before you get rid of it, it might be the original.

Sorry for the brevity... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
either one os a good choice. I had a 440 for over 20 years, and loved it. My current car has a 383, and I'm just as happy with it as I was the 440.

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Was going to do a seperate post on this today anyway, but the early 68 RR I have is a one owner car (purchased it from the original owner). I got the original engine and two other 383 HP engines with the car as well. I have searched all three engines extensively and know where the vin should be stamped. I have been unable to find a vin on the original block no the other 67/68 engines I have. I may have been had on the "numbers matching" thing, but can not validate this, other than the owners word. The supposedly "original engine" does have the 906 heads as it's suppose to, and the correct crank, ect. Any ideas, or anyone else have heard of this issue? I did read somewhere that Mopar started stamping the vins on the engine block in '68, and my RR could have been built in 67 I suppose (guess I could find that out). Ideas?
As far as the choice of engine, even though my RR was an original 383, would love to find a 68-70 440 HP to play with until I get ready to flip it.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
jerrysdustydog said:
Was going to do a seperate post on this today anyway, but the early 68 RR I have is a one owner car (purchased it from the original owner). I got the original engine and two other 383 HP engines with the car as well. I have searched all three engines extensively and know where the vin should be stamped. I have been unable to find a vin on the original block no the other 67/68 engines I have. I may have been had on the "numbers matching" thing, but can not validate this, other than the owners word. The supposedly "original engine" does have the 906 heads as it's suppose to, and the correct crank, ect. Any ideas, or anyone else have heard of this issue? I did read somewhere that Mopar started stamping the vins on the engine block in '68, and my RR could have been built in 67 I suppose (guess I could find that out). Ideas?
As far as the choice of engine, even though my RR was an original 383, would love to find a 68-70 440 HP to play with until I get ready to flip it.
I believe there was some stamping in the lip that meets the bell housing in 68. If you are lucky enough to have the original trans and its stamped I would say you have a warranty block because they got stamped at the same time. There should be a machined flat just above the oil pan on the passenger side of the block

steve.f

Reaction score
I had the same decision years ago & then I read an article in a mopar mag that claimed a 383 would damn near run right along a 440 if the rpms were just stretched a little over redline in stock form. I now have a 383 pushing 500hp & has spanked many 440s. I think its kind of cool having smaller BB that can take on just about anything that pulls up & be able to brag that its the stock size motor that came in the car. Well with a little work done that is.

cj69RR

Reaction score
My dad has raced the stock 383 in mine and out ran a many 440's. then again it only has one belt running the water pump and alternator. Made a guy really mad one time cuz he had a lot done to his 440. I'm still pretty much stock, only a little bigger cam is all. Stock intake, heads and exhaust manifolds.

csuk9

Reaction score
If you think about it, the 383 is still a big block! You guys make the 383 sound like its a 289 or a slant six, when its racing against the 440. Lmao! :p

The truth is:
You can't go wrong if you build out any mopar!

A31PKG

Reaction score
csuk9 said:
If you think about it, the 383 is still a big block! You guys make the 383 sound like its a 289 or a slant six, when its racing against the 440. Lmao! :p

The truth is:
You can't go wrong if you build out any mopar!

Not a thing wrong with 383...easy to build, dependable, gobs of tire-frying torque, and it even shares the same bore size as a 426 Hemi!

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
All depends on what you want. I wanted to drag race and run around town like a bat out of hell. I found a freshly rebuilt 383 to replace my 318 satellite, but than decided that wasn't going to be enough ponies.. So I bought a 440 instead to get the power I wanted out of it and then while the 440 was in the machine shop I found a brand new 440/498 stroker with gobs of power and torque.

dobie

Reaction score
In my very limited experience, Ive found that most of the older guys almost prefer the 383's over the 440's, especially in stock form. My X father-in-law and uncle to name a couple. They've always said that the 383's can rev higher, for longer, and the overall durability is better.

Two of the local guys have 440's in their cars... It seems that they are constantly having problems with them. Overheating, parts breaking, etc... Im sure some of this could be attributed to the build. Bigger is always better, right? In that mindset they've built the big, bad 440's that are constantly breaking, overheating at every stop light, and are just plain hard to drive on the street. Of course I still suffer a bit from "motor envy" with my little 383. To cure this disease, I have a another 383 block and a 440 block, both complete, sitting in my garage waiting to be "built." In the meantime I'll enjoy my 383, driving every day the weather is good, while these guys are "fixing" their big, bad 440's.

Disclaimer:

I have nothing against 440's, or the guys who have them. Im speaking more about the guys who build them to be the biggest, baddest street car there is to the point where its no fun to drive. Since Ive had my RR, my uncle has beat into me the fact that above all else, the car should be reliable and drivable. After all, if it's not, what good is it? One very good friend, who has such a built 440 loves to talk of its power, etc.... When he turns to me, I can tell he's almost laughing inside of my little 383. Then, I turn the conversation and my thoughts to cruising in the summer time with him, pulling up to a light, and watching his car puke coolant and overheating.....

Who's laughing now....???

:jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
when we were rebuilding the 440 for my '68 Charger(the same one that went into Freebird) I heard alot of "put a bigget cam in it, do two fours, punch it out bigger" I said 375hp is good enough for me. That engine was built in 1986, and I didn't have to do another thing to it thru 2007. And if it weren't for the fire, it would still be running today. And it never overheated, and It was my summer dailey driver for 20 years.I have no idea what was done to the 383 in my present car. It was supposed to have been rebuilt, but I have no paperwork. But it has enough power for me, is driver friendly too.

dobie

Reaction score
That's awesome. Im sure that can be attributed to you having knowledge of what works, and what doesn't. Those same friends of mine also kept telling me to go bigger, bore it out, etc....My uncle slowed me down and kept beating the reliability issue into me. Thankfully I listened, and am now enjoying my 300 or so hp.

:cheers:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
dobie said:
That's awesome. Im sure that can be attributed to you having knowledge
:cheers:

:basketcase: yeah right! I was just a dumb kid. But Dad had a friend that had restored a '70 Super Bee that helped, and he knew a great machinest.

Back