• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

452 heads

Andy

Reaction score
Looking at buying a recon 440 around 71.with 452 heads: are these ok ; I heard they work well with todays petrol

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Pretty much the same open chamber head as the 906 with a small change on the intake port hard seats and reinforcments to prevent cracking in the valve area.

jww69rrpost

Reaction score
It's all about compression, especially if you reside in California, where premium is only 91. I have a 572 Indy Head Max Wedge 750 HP and 775 lbs. of torque. It's 10.5.1 and runs great on California premium. Fuel is fed through an EZ FAST 2.0 system with eight injectors. It's a solid lifter setup that was built for drag racing, although, it will never see a racetrack... I'm 78 and don't trust my reaction time the way I used to. If you, or anyone else reading this, were to go with aluminum Indy heads, you'll have to go with TTI headers because of the angled spark plug holes. I know there has been a lot of pros and cons regarding Indy Head engines; however, I have to say my engine always runs great, never over-heats and feels like it wants to through you out the back window with just a little throttle!!
Good luck with whatever you end up with. Also, one really nice thing with our Road Runners... you can stick a huge engine in the engine bay and still have a lot of room for other add-on goodies.

Engine  - 1.jpg

TTI Headers.JPG

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Yes. Like everyone said, same as a 906 with hardened valve seats. I remember way back when unleaded fuel became mandatory everyone was looking for them. They will be fine.

Back