• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

489 or Dana 60

BBillyC

Reaction score
Currently my RR is equipped with a 489 case with 3.91 but its a peg leg. What is better choice....get a power lok differential (clutch type) or go for a Dana 60? There are many Dana 60 types out there (in trucks) probably available in scrap yards. If I were to go that way which would be the best donor vehicle to start with, in terms of what make and model of truck. I know that Mopar had a Dana 60 series rear end, but try to find one, pretty much non-existent in Canada. :huh: Thanks. bill

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
BBillyC said:
Currently my RR is equipped with a 489 case with 3.91 but its a peg leg. What is better choice....get a power lok differential (clutch type) or go for a Dana 60? There are many Dana 60 types out there (in trucks) probably available in scrap yards. If I were to go that way which would be the best donor vehicle to start with, in terms of what make and model of truck. I know that Mopar had a Dana 60 series rear end, but try to find one, pretty much non-existent in Canada. :huh: Thanks. bill
Billy, I don't remember if you have an auto or stick. If your an auto and your not running a monster motor you don't need a 60. If you do go for a 60 you may still need gears and a limited slip or locker, and a truck 60 may need cutting, ends and spring pads welded on along with axles.

BBillyC

Reaction score
I'm a 4 speed. I was just wondering if there is a 60 out there that is close which would require minimal alterations. Last fall I punched it and the rear end broke loose instantly....need to do something about that. So I need to replace the dif in the 489 or go to a 60. I am just wondering if there is an easy way to do this. Cutting, welding and fabrication are not an issue for me. Thanks for the reply. Bill

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
BBillyC said:
Billy, I don't remember if you have an auto or stick. If your an auto and your not running a monster motor you don't need a 60. If you do go for a 60 you may still need gears and a limited slip or locker, and a truck 60 may need cutting, ends and spring pads welded on along with axles.
ditto...but i am not a ditto guy :lol:

mcmopar

Reaction score
You don't need a Dana 60 for your setup. It will just add weight. The Sure Grip for your 489 case is all you really need but with that XE285HL-10 cam and the rest of your combo you are still going to be breaking the tires loose. You'll need a pinion snubber and some good Drag Radials or 10"-11" slicks to keep it hooked at the track along with some work on the spring clamps.
If you are planning a rear end upgrade I'd suggest investing in some new Moser axles, a Sure Grip and perhaps a new ring and pinion set if they have some use to them.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
what he said...pinion snuber rubber about 1 inch from touching the floor....super stock springs work very well and those moser axles are the ticket :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
Hi Bill,

I used to build to build custom rearends for a living. Lets address the questions you have individually.

First off the 489 case 8 3/4 is plenty strong. For example I built an 8 3/4 for a 69 Dart a few years ago that just barely runs in the 8s with a trans brake and 14 inch slicks.

If your going to keep the 8 3/4 (which I recommend) Please put an eaton clutch type or the reproduction Mopar clutch type Sure Grip. You will be happier in the long run as most aftermarket Sure Grips get pretty weak quickly.

The Dana 60 was used in Mopar passenger cars in the 60s as well as trucks of all makes for the past 30 years. The problem with the truck 60s are as follows
1. The trucks have full floating axles. Which is fixable with cutting the axle tubes (your going to have to narrow it anyways) and putting the passenger car housing ends as well as spring perches.

2. The differential is also different since it has the full floaters.

3. The truck sixty actually uses different bearings.

4. No provision for pinion snubber. You can use cal-tracs in its place.

By the time you fix all the incompatibilities with the truck rearend its not much savings. The Dana is only 20 pounds heavier than an 8 3/4 so weight really isnt as much an issue as originally thought.

I hope this clears it up for you.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Well I think that clears it up for me. I have a line on a clutch type dif, and with the 3:91 it should work well. I'll ahve to get some stiffer springs though. This is sounding better and easier. Thanks guys, you're awesome.

Bill

mcmopar

Reaction score
Hey Chris - thanks for the tip on the weight. I was always under the impression that the Dana was a good bit heavier than that. I learned something new today! :thumbsup:
The best thing about the 489 vs the Dana is the ability to change out gearsets as a whole unit. Of course, most everybody knows that!

moparchris

Reaction score
True McMopar! I forgot one of the most basic features. :brickwall: Car Craft did a shootout of the Dana 60 versus the 12 bolt and Phord 9 inch. It was surprising that the Dana paced the top dog 12 bolt all the way in power. Everyone says the 12 bolt uses less power than any rearend out there. Car Craft proved that one wrong! They also weighed each rear with the Dana being the heaviest by 35 pounds. Hot Rod did a similar shoot out between the 8 3/4 and Dana 60 in Steve Magnante's Hemi Dart. Similar results except the car went quicker with the Dana. This attributed to the extra unsprung weight improving the 60 foot time.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Excellent info moparchris....thanks. I am ordering the clutch type dif and settle at that. Oh and I wont forget the new springs and pinion snubber either....10 weeks and the RR will be out of storage.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
True McMopar! I forgot one of the most basic features. :brickwall: Car Craft did a shootout of the Dana 60 versus the 12 bolt and Phord 9 inch. It was surprising that the Dana paced the top dog 12 bolt all the way in power. Everyone says the 12 bolt uses less power than any rearend out there. Car Craft proved that one wrong! They also weighed each rear with the Dana being the heaviest by 35 pounds. Hot Rod did a similar shoot out between the 8 3/4 and Dana 60 in Steve Magnante's Hemi Dart. Similar results except the car went quicker with the Dana. This attributed to the extra unsprung weight improving the 60 foot time.

I remember reading both of those; the Dart comparo with the Dana and the 8.75" was particularly interesting. Seems like the only things Magnante does anymore are those junkyard crawls (I forget which rag that is in...) and the BJ Auctions...

moparchris

Reaction score
A guys gotta make a living! He actually lives within 50 miles of me and I see him at Irwindale a lot. I think he recently moved out of state though. Real nice guy and very knowledgable.

Back