• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 manual steering box remove/replace

68jim

Reaction score
Need to swap out the manual steering box on my 68 Hemi Road Runner. The FSM is recommending to remove battery and tray and jack the driver's side engine mount up a bit. The car is on a 4-post lift. Any other tips/tricks to remove/replace the unit?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Need to swap out the manual steering box on my 68 Hemi Road Runner. The FSM is recommending to remove battery and tray and jack the driver's side engine mount up a bit. The car is on a 4-post lift. Any other tips/tricks to remove/replace the unit?
Repair or going power steering?

68jim

Reaction score
The original box just had that annoying dead spot that I could never adjust out of it. I picked up another one from Steer and Gear at Carlisle last week. Same 24:1 ratio. Not much room to work but figured I would check with the group. Hoping the lift may help with the swap.

Carl Ray

Reaction score
69 383 with headers and pwr steering, couldn't get enough room unbolting motor mount. Had to drop K member

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score

68jim

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies over the weekend. I will need to wait a couple more weeks before doing the swap. According to the FSM, it looks like a much easier job for SB and BB cars... Dropping the K frame sounds interesting but most likely would have to pull the torsion bars first? And then figure out a way to support engine?

68jim

Reaction score
Just a follow up - I swapped the manual steering box this weekend. Did not have to jack the motor up, did not have to remove the battery tray. One recommendation from another Hemi RR owner was to remove the dipstick tube. From my experience now I think you have to either remove the tube or jack the motor but not both. Once the column was out and the pitman arm off, the three bolts are fairly easy to get to (certainly glad for the lift...) It rolled forward and pulled up out the top in the hole where a power steering pump would be normally located. Still have to reinstall the column but should get that done this week sometime.

Back