• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 power plant?

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
I have known an old man, some 20 miles north of me for many years. He is an old Mopar fanatic (80 plus yrs old), and he showed me a 440HP engine lying on the ground that he pulled out of a power wagon he built. He told me he had built the engine, 60 over with a 505 lift cam and was too radical for his power wagon. He feared his son would kill himself driving it, so that's why he pulled it out with only a few thousand miles on the build. I tried for a year or so to buy it, but no dice. He wouldn't turn it loose for love or money. I found my 68 roadrunner last year and again tried to convince him to let me buy it, no deal. I'm getting around to putting my 383HP together soon, and had the chance yesterday to go pay him another visit. I showed him some photos of the car I painted and saw that 'gleem'. I told him I'd really like to go with a 440, (hint, hint) and he told me he had a '77 440 I might could pull out of a truck he had. I reminded him of the 440HP he had lying on the ground tarped up. He told me his health was failing, and by the looks of him, he didn't have too long. He offered to trade the 440HP for a good 383 if I could find him one, then he told me to bring a trailer and come get the 440HP before he changed his mind. Granted that the 440 has been lying on the ground for several years tarped up, I hope it doesn't need too much work. Should I go with the 440 guys??? I plan on going out again next weekend to pick it up!

:drive: :drive:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i would jump on that 440hp before he changes his mind......i would pull all the spark plugs ans dump some Marvel Mystery Oil in there and make sure it turns over and hopefully he has the carb covered up so nothing got down inside there.....also mice could build there nest inside the exhaust manifolds and hopefully they did get inside the exhaust valves down on top of the pistons

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Yep, that's my fear also. If the block is still in good shape, I have a pair of 906 heads fresh from the machine shop with new valves, seats and springs. Worst case senario, have to pull everything apart and clean it up. Maybe new rings, ect. Wouldn't hurt anyway to replace the seals anyway, but I'm hoping for the best!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I would do a quick tear down also before you give up the 383. A 505 lift sounds like it might be an MP purple cam. Now is the 383 original to your car?

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Got 3 383s with the car when I bought it. The original, another late'68 and a rebuilt short block (I think '66?). Having a '68 built in last 67 is not as desirable, for no matching vin# on the original engine. None of the 383s I have are stamped, for all are dated pre-68. Also, and I don't know the facts, so you guys can chime in: All of my 383s have forged cranks, but none have "HP" embossed on the engine? Did this start beginning in '68 as well? Relating to the lack of morals and ethics (don't get me started) these days, the guy I bought the car from (original owner) lied to me about alot of things concerning the car, so I might not have gotton even the original engine plus 2 extra "HP" engines as well. The date on what he called the original engine does show to be late in '67 as well, but who is to say? He bragged that the car was a 'cross over" car, as the title says Plymouth Belevadere Roadrunner (don't know how long the factory called them that), having turn signal indicators on the fenders, ect, but would really be nice to have a car with matching #s everywhere if you know what I mean. Anyway Bob, I had planned on using the '66 or 67 short block since it was more ready to go. Came up with a set of 906 heads and had them completely redone instead of robbing the ones off the supposed "original engine". But, growing up like most of us in our 50s/60s even the words "440 MAGNUM" are forever etched in our soul, so I guess I've always wanted to have one.

:jester:

4spd69RR

Reaction score
I had a body that would allow cars to sit for years, and all he would do would be to rebuild the carb. Then, fill the tank with new gas and fire the right up. However, this 440 has been sitting basically unprotected for many years. Like the others have said, check it out, make sure no critters set up housing. From what I read you plan on installing new heads. You will definitely know more once the top end comes apart. If it was a well built engine in the first place the rings, cam bearings, and crank journals may be fine unless water got in some how.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A 67 casting would be the norm for your car also. Along the casting that bolts to the bell housing or trans not far from the oil sending unit will be some numbers that would match I think the radiator support and trunk lip( I may get corrected on that). In 68 the VIN was not used

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Picked up the 440 HP today, got it home to find water had gotton into one cylendar. Block may be junk, for if it is 60 over, will take some boring to get rid of the pits. Unless I have the cyl sleeved. Oh well, I was trying.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A sleeve isn't that much to do but if its 60 over its not worth doing 8 holes.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Sleeve it if need be. Nothing wrong with that. It's still a good motor and when brought back will be a fine powerplant for your runner.

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
O.K., got more into the engine. 1967 440 HP! Yes it has the 915 heads and a holley 750 or 850. It was stuck, as in was. I damaged on piston getting it out, and 3 valves were stuck, one BAD. Come to find out, the engine was 30 over, not 60 as I was told by the owner. Everything else looked perfect, but there is one groove in the stuck cyl. that probably won't hone out. I did get 2 of the stuck valves out fairly easy, but the one.......Stuck worse than I have ever seen, I finally got it out, but broke the guide in the process. Can a machine shop cut out and replace the guide? The heads more than likely will need hardened seats cut in as well, but it's a shame for a low mile engine to end up that way. Any ideas on the cost of repair to the guide? I most likely will assemble the 383HP next weekend since I have all the parts and a fresh set of 906 heads with new springs and valves. It's 30 over as well. Guess when I have more cash I'll take the 440 block and heads to my machine guy and get it bored to 40 over? Strange thing about the 440, came out of a Arizona Highway Patrol car, and even being bored 30 over, still had standard rod bearings and the crank looks good. Mics out within a thousandth of what it came out of the factory. Have not pulled out the crank and checked the journals, but probably good also. The camshaft still has all the "purple" paint on it, but have not gotten the numbers off it yet. Didn't see any markings on the pistons (aluminum) but '30'. Will really get some photos soon!

:CHASIN312:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem replacing the guides. My "consultant" does it all the time as cylinder heads are his specialty. If you are having one done you might want to check the others to make sure they are all ok since 2 others were stuck as well. You'll probably will want to have those 2 guides replaced as well just to be on the safe side. As for cost - no idea. I don't think it will be very expensive, though.

Back