• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 RR 383 Engine rebuild

jaxrunner1968

Reaction score
I am starting my research to find a good machinist/machine shop to do a rebuild on my stock 383HP. I found a shop owned by a very experienced Mopar guy that was big into drag racing back in day, his name is Dan Dvorak owner of Dvorak machine in Starke FL. Has anyone out there had any dealings with them?
I did talk to Dan on the phone and he sounds like a straight shooter. If anyone has had any experience with his shop please let me know. Thanks :flag:

Ranger

Reaction score
Unless that engine had previous work done to it (or the above was a typo), it's a 383 C.I.D. with 335 HP.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Think he was referring to 383 High Performance. Got to watch you all the time:acme::jester:

Ranger

Reaction score
Ahh, I never would have guessed that.
Good thing someone is watching over me.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah cause nobody else wants to be seen with you guys.......:acme::acme::acme:

jaxrunner1968

Reaction score
The HP could be confused as horsepower.......maybe I should have said that I had an "H" motor.......I will need to be more specific next time I ask for some help :worship:

ENGINES
In base configuration, each 1968 Road Runner was equipped with a 383-cu.in. engine, except that it wasn't the same old 383 that had been used for years prior. Engineers borrowed the high-performance cylinder heads from the 440 Magnum/Super Commando, with their improved ports and 2.08/1.74-inch valves, along with the HP 440 hydraulic-lifter camshaft. Additional improvements included a high-rise cast-iron intake manifold with a Carter AVS four-barrel carburetor. With exhaust expelled through a dual system, the new engine was rated for 335hp and 425-lbs.ft. of torque. Look for an "H" in the VIN. This same engine configuration and rating remained unchanged the following year, despite the 1969 availability of the N96 "Air Grabber" cold air induction system.

cj69RR

Reaction score
Scott, I can't remember his name but there is guy who runs a duster at the green cove drag strip who may know or do the work? It's a primer car unless he's finally painted it.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am starting my research to find a good machinist/machine shop to do a rebuild on my stock 383HP. I found a shop owned by a very experienced Mopar guy that was big into drag racing back in day, his name is Dan Dvorak owner of Dvorak machine in Starke FL. Has anyone out there had any dealings with them?
I did talk to Dan on the phone and he sounds like a straight shooter. If anyone has had any experience with his shop please let me know. Thanks :flag:

Never used them myself, but I have a buddy that has had some stuff done by them over the years. No issues and apparently good to deal with.

Pretty sure that his shop is actually in Waldo, and if you know anything at all about Waldo then you know to take it easy when you drive through there. And if you don't then let me tell you that they have one of the worst reputations in the U.S. for being a speed trap. Tiny little town and this is how they generate revenue. Don't speed. PERIOD. Not even 2 MPH over the posted limit. That town is a nightmare in that respect.

jaws

Reaction score
Dan Dvorak know his stuff when it comes to big block Mopars. Might want to talk to him about some small tweeks to get some more power.

jaxrunner1968

Reaction score
Jaws, we talked for a while and he mentioned some things that he does to create more power, he sounds like he knows his big block Mopars. I am planning on using him for mine, Thanks for the response!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jaws, we talked for a while and he mentioned some things that he does to create more power, he sounds like he knows his big block Mopars. I am planning on using him for mine, Thanks for the response!

Sounds like a plan. Take it easy when you're driving through Waldo... :jester:

Back