• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 RR progress

moparchris

Reaction score
Wow a corporate blue 68 383 4 speed runner. It really doesn’t get better than that. Nice job on the resto too!

1968 man

Reaction score
Petty blue , corporate blue was not a 68 color. I think that’s right. Mine is 999 paint code which is a non factory paint color, corporate blue is a factory color.

moparchris

Reaction score
Plymouth never called it Petty Blue. They did call it corporate blue once it was assigned it’s own fendertag code. It’s also been called super blue and basin street blue at some point between dodge and Plymouth. Since it was a 999 paint code it actually was called whatever name the paint manufacturer called it at the time. 999 and 99 and 96 codes for any year mopar was a color available from whatever vendor they were using that year.

dmartin

Reaction score
Hey Anthony looks like the guy that had it before you never owned a drill looks like he used a hammer and a screwdriver, but what your doing looks good

1968 man

Reaction score
Hey Anthony , hope you don’t mind I’m going to use some of the info you posted a while back on your fender tag concerning the 999 paint code. Thanks. 1ABB5FED-5DDB-485E-90DE-61BF89828D3C.jpeg

1968 man

Reaction score
Thanks Chris, I’ve seen the chart before and when I compared the petty blue to the corporate blue the corporate blue was just a little darker. I was able to get the info from Petty’s garage when I was looking for my paint . I have the formula for the Petty blue but was reminded about copy rights that Richard still owns today.My car was a one owner with original paint on it when I bought it, it was purchase from a dealer in North Carolina when it was new. There’s all sorts of story’s that follow these cars, one is 75 were built 10 of them four speeds and 65 were automatics. Hell I wish I knew a little more but there’s no info out there. Here’s a picture of the original paint before I restored it. E84F0463-0E3D-4A31-8FC6-4A84A6BEFAF1.png0EDE8483-E3B3-493C-8F5A-58CE36374665.png

1968 man

Reaction score
Dale Inman Petty’s crew chief at the time has conferred that these cars were built for promotional use in early production. Rumor has it that they would pull so many a day and hand spray them, that would explain the lack of paint in certain places. Lol

moparchris

Reaction score
Thanks Chris, I’ve seen the chart before and when I compared the petty blue to the corporate blue the corporate blue was just a little darker. I was able to get the info from Petty’s garage when I was looking for my paint . I have the formula for the Petty blue but was reminded about copy rights that Richard still owns today.My car was a one owner with original paint on it when I bought it, it was purchase from a dealer in North Carolina when it was new. There’s all sorts of story’s that follow these cars, one is 75 were built 10 of them four speeds and 65 were automatics. Hell I wish I knew a little more but there’s no info out there. Here’s a picture of the original paint before I restored it. View attachment 33081View attachment 33080
Like I said before it’s super cool and super rare. Petty blue is a custom color and Chrysler used what was available out of the Ditzler catalog. Corporate blue is it. It is not the same blue Petty used just for your info.

moparchris

Reaction score
Since it was original paint. You should take a sample, like the underside of the deck lid, and have it color matched to the original paint.

moparchris

Reaction score
That story is only half true. Every mopar has poor paint coverage. You have to consider it from a manufacturers stand point. All mopars from that era are hand painted. Yours is not special in that regard. To stop the line to custom paint a car that will cost exactly the same doesn’t fit the factories proven practices. To stop the line for any reason will cost Chrysler thousands. They were on the verge of bankruptcy at that time. Petty has the patent on the color and name and dodge would have to pay him for that. They couldn’t afford to do that.

1968 man

Reaction score
Since it was original paint. You should take a sample, like the underside of the deck lid, and have it color matched to the original paint.
That’s what I done. That’s what they suggested at Pettys garage, they asked for pictures and one picture was the inside of the deck lid , the paint matched perfect. 347FB99E-94DC-4EB0-B58F-144D97AFF72B.jpeg3135370A-E030-4733-8A19-B129A02EF7FE.jpeg

1968 man

Reaction score
That story is only half true. Every mopar has poor paint coverage. You have to consider it from a manufacturers stand point. All mopars from that era are hand painted. Yours is not special in that regard. To stop the line to custom paint a car that will cost exactly the same doesn’t fit the factories proven practices. To stop the line for any reason will cost Chrysler thousands. They were on the verge of bankruptcy at that time. Petty has the patent on the color and name and dodge would have to pay him for that. They couldn’t afford to do that.
Yep !

1968 man

Reaction score
When the paint was matched and I had the formula I verified it with petty’s garage and the paint and body shop manager said that was it. Go for it.

1968 man

Reaction score
Doctordodge is a guy on here he bought one off of eBay in2012 out of Fla. And Dave wiese I think that’s his name spent a lot time combing over the car. He’s going to leave his a survivor . Here’s a couple of pics 14C83F94-7D3D-4E40-AA49-5EC287A60B56.pngF2ECAAAA-08C5-4447-943C-022F8395B9B4.png

Back