• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 trunk mat

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
I have to do some cosmetic work in the trunk compartment and was curious as to everyone's thoughts on a trunk mat , rubber vs vinyl, etc ??

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Have not got one yet for this car. Think rubber would be better than vinyl. It would take a hit better than the vinyl. Maybe the other guy's have a better idea. Detailing the trunk are you. Cool.

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
Not really detailing, just trying to dress it up a little, it's been neglected !

69bfan

Reaction score
Although the vinyl mats are quite popular, I refuse to sell them as they look so cheap in my personal opinion. The vinyl mats are basically a printed shower curtain that comes to you in folded up shrink wrap. Getting the wrinkles out will take a considerable amount of time if allowed to sit folded up for an extended period of time.

For the 68 to 69 Plymouth B-Body applications, you will be either purchasing an ACC or a REM product. REM is the only manufacturer that offers both trunk pan styles as the spacing differs and you need to verify the trunk supports prior to ordering the mat. Measuring from the center of the trunk latch to the center of the right hand trunk support, it can be either 13.25 or 14.75 inches. This makes a big difference in getting a mat that fits properly. You may still have to do some minor trimming for the best fit.

Although ACC list the mats as being "vinyl", they are actually the heavier rubber mats as the factory style. REM offers both the cheaper "vinyl" and the rubber mats. The ACC mats are slick on the back side, where the REM rubber mats have a texture like the factory mats.

Depending upon how the car is stored, condensation is a problem with all of the mats. If the car is in a humid environment, you may want to check for moisture buildup under the mats. This is one reason that the trunks rusted out so bad on some of these cars.

I received on Friday a product bulletin from REM that effective March 1st, the trunk mats would see a 7% increase in our wholesale price. So prices will be increasing in the weeks to come for us vendors offering the mats as we carry both the ACC and REM mats.

Hope that this helps.

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
Thank you, that helps alot ! What's the name of your business ?

69bfan

Reaction score
The retail side is Restoration Parts and Materials. Also directly associated as Dale's Cuda Shop and Quirey Quality Design. Just send me a private message as the websites do not list all of the product that we offer.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
69bfan you hit it spot on what I was thinking of the moisture build up behind the mat. Wonder if their is a breathable mat of some kind. Is their some kind of material that could be put under the mat so it could breath. Any other guy's may have done this?

69bfan

Reaction score
Some of the super early 68 Plymouth B-Bodies used the Burtex mats which is a woven fabric that would breath, but the EPA outlawed the material many years ago and it had a thin foam backing which still could retain moisture.

For the most part, condensation is only an issue for me during the Winter months, so once the cars are parked for that time frame, I just remove the mat and roll it up for the next year.

Back