• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Beep resto questions

chipper58

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to the forum and this is my first real post.
I recently acquired a 69 Roadrunner that is factory Vitamin C Orange.
I wish to paint it the original color but was also thinking about adding the wide black stripes across the hood. I am new to Mopars so I was wondering if these stripes were significant in some way? Also, weren't they flat black with no sheen?
The reason I ask if that if I decide to go with them and they are flat black, then I just assume that I would just have to tape them off and shoot single stage with a flattener, as clear coat would have gloss. Do they make decals for these stripes or a stencil kit for that matter? I'm also going to need a new vinyl top and head liner.
Any suggestions to where would be the best place to get these? Thanks a bunch. All help is appreciated.

Ranger

Reaction score
Welcome :wave:

The original hood stripes painted with flat "Organisol". Not sure it it is available anymore, but someone better informed will chime in soon.
There are no decals for these stripes that I am aware of, nr have I ever seen a stencil kit.
Year one, Legendary Interiors or Classic Industries should have the headliner. Not sure about the vinyl top. I'm sure others will have more options.

Here's the dimensions you need.
http://www.roadrunnersite.com/images/roadrunnerhoodstripes.pdf

droptop

Reaction score
Welcome. The black stripes on the hood are called the performance hood treatment (V21) and they are painted on. They were organisol (flat textured) black originally. A lot of guys put gloss black due to that taking a lot less upkeep. Personal choice as to flat or gloss, but to be correct, they should be flat black. Here is the lay out for them.

hoodstripes.jpg

Ranger, you type a lot faster than me. You must use both fingers.:lol:

hoodstripes.jpg

Last edited:

chipper58

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Huge help. I guess I'll try a single stage black with a flattener for the stripes. Thanks again.

djais1801

Reaction score
From the factory, They were actually painted on before the body color to the hood... I am waiting for prices to do black vinyl wrap and the dimensions on the hood… As my car is 99% original parts and did not have the performance hood code on the fender tag… So if I ever sell the car and the new owner wants originality all have to do is peel the vinyl wrap off

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome, and let's see your baby!
the tech section here has all the '69 Factory Service Manuals, big help.

droptop

Reaction score
From the factory, They were actually painted on before the body color to the hood... I am waiting for prices to do black vinyl wrap and the dimensions on the hood… As my car is 99% original parts and did not have the performance hood code on the fender tag… So if I ever sell the car and the new owner wants originality all have to do is peel the vinyl wrap off

My F3 green car that I had back in the day (actually my Mom's car) had green paint under the black stripes. And it was an original paint car.

djais1801

Reaction score
My F3 green car that I had back in the day (actually my Mom's car) had green paint under the black stripes. And it was an original paint car.

then i stand corrected...i think i heard it on GYC or another show re: mopars...

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
but but but it's a mopar show????????? still don't need the drama and misinfo.

Back