• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Hub cap Pic on car wanted

SgtLee511

Reaction score
I was not sure where to post this but Ive been looking at using the original hideous hub caps on my car, they are faded with little to no paint, and i need some smaller projects while I pay off big ones. So Im looking for pics that these caps are were used on. I found a image on line that must be a likeness of the caps colors, looks like a flat black tab and maybe a argent type darker gray silver similar to 72 Rallye paint, but i need to be sure because I want them to be right. If any one has pics or is using these Horrid lol things, please post me some pics back, Thanks

sRRCap-l500.jpg

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
Those are not correct for a 1969 RoadRunner. They do not say "Musclecar" The attached with the black center and Plymouth Division in silver are the right ones. They look a lot better too!
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
You won't find a photo of a RoadRunner with those on it. There have been one or two RoadRunner owners who are certain their car came with them and they may post a photo but regardless, they are really Satellite and Belvedere caps. The RoadRunner hubcaps are called the "Sport" hubcaps. You can find some that look similar but it's a little harder to find the ones with the black center.

Last edited:

SgtLee511

Reaction score
I have that set JD, I like it too but those others were on the car it appears not to have been altered in any way, a one owner car, but hes dead and who really knows...

SgtLee511

Reaction score
Its kinda like my car has bumperettes and someone tried to tell me it wasnt a bird, and it was a Satellite because they didnt have em on the bumpers yet the very first Chrysler Commercial I watch for Roadrunner in 69 is wearing bumperettes. I do agree that Ive seen roadrunners wearing the other caps, and never these.......True not very Muscular

Ranger

Reaction score
Aren't these the factory Road Runner hubcaps?
attachment.php

Last edited:

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
Aren't these the factory Road Runner hubcaps?
attachment.php
Can't open your attachment but the Sport ones with the black center and Plymouth Division name are the standsrd ones for a 69 RoadRunner, Sport Satellites, 69 Barracuda Formula S cars and I believe also the 70 RoadRunner. The news is that I found the OP's hubcap listed as available for RoadRunners p/n #2823010 so it is possible that they are original to that car. I'm just going to say again that I never saw a RoadRunner with them back in the day and I checked out a lot of RoadRunners in my time?

Last edited:

SgtLee511

Reaction score
Where did you find that Part Number and info for those caps, wasnt quite sure what OP abbreviates....Ive had the sport caps with the black centers they say Plymouth Division for over 30 years, when i got the car I put one on the front just to see what it looked like, and I preferred it to the caps that were most likely used on the Belvederes. Great Big Learning curve here....But if you have a good resource Id like to see it for future reference. Thanks for the input, only way to get a question answered.

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
OP=original poster. The hood scoop emblem looks like it says Hemi? There were no 15" factory mags so most Hemi cars came with the painted 15" steel wheel and dog dish hubcaps like in the photo. I got the information from the 1969 Parts Book. They have pictures and part numbers for the hubcaps in section 22 and when you look up the part numbers, it tells you what body style they are specified for. If you didn't order any hubcaps, the car came with body color painted wheels and dog dish hub caps (the factory just painted the outside face of the stock black wheels). The Road Wheels and the Sport hubcaps are what they showed on the RoadRunners in the 1969 Plymouth factory promotional literature.

Last edited:

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
I assume your car is not T7? You probably know the wheels would be black with full wheel covers. The bronze wheels would have come with the dog dish hubcaps. Since you don't know for sure and apparently think the ones that came on the car look hideous, why not just paint the wheels black and go with the full size Plymouth Division hubcaps?

SgtLee511

Reaction score
My RR is a T7 Dark Bronze painted car, and the steel wheels were painted Dark Bronze under those caps that were on it, so its looking like after this discussion I may just drop those caps, and put the correct dog dish caps on it and leave it at that. I appreciate the discussion, In the mean time I will probably recondition both sets of caps and then test fit a dog dish cap. One question are you running dish caps? or the Plymouth Division caps with black centers?

A12

Reaction score
I assume your car is not T7? You probably know the wheels would be black with full wheel covers. The bronze wheels would have come with the dog dish hubcaps. Since you don't know for sure and apparently think the ones that came on the car look hideous, why not just paint the wheels black and go with the full size Plymouth Division hubcaps?

John my '69 Road Runner hardtop that I ordered new in '69 had the same WHEEL COVERS as the photo you posted. I don't remember ordering them so they must have been part of the hardtop décor package. I found a set at Norwalk this past September and bought them for "garage art". I actually left them on for a long time while deciding between Keystones or Ansen Slots and always removed them when I went to the drag strip as required.

I think we should start to try and use the correct terms for "HUB" caps that cover the center "hub" of the wheel and Wheel "Covers" that "cover" the entire wheel. I know it's a little thing but to me and a lot of us old guys when I say to my son "could you make a Xerox of this for me?" he looks at me like I'm from Mars. Hub caps is a hold over from the early automotive era, kind of pre-Xerox (photo copy), pre-Kleenex (tissue), pre-Windex (window cleaner) days..........maybe it should have been "hup capx" :lmao

(if you look closely you can almost see the wheel covers on the rear of my Road Runner in this 1969 photo of my car)

:My 69 RR F5 circa 69mpd.jpg

My 69 RR F5 circa 69mpd.jpg

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
Mine was a Coupe with the A87 Decor package and I am sure that my salesman said the wheel covers were part of the package. However, they are not listed in the A87 description? I had a fraternity brother whose car came with the same wheel covers. You miss your old 383, don't you? When compared to all the cars Ihave had, my 383 is probably my favorite car to drive with the most memories. I only had it for 36 months. It was sweet the first year with the 3.23's and even better with the 4.30's! My multi-carbureted Mopars were super cars in their time but mostly good for my ego. They were never used for daily drivers.

Back