• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Tranny fluid?

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I'll be changing my tranny fluid soon and I was wondering what you 727 guys are using now. I found some ATF-4 by Penzoil and Castrol, both at $5.29 a quart. That was about 1-2 bucks higher then most of the other brands, except the Dextron which about a buck more then the ATF-4. So what do you all say? Thanks!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The hot tip was always to use Type F (Ford) trans fluid. I heard that right from Bill Hancock, Chryslers performance trans engineer. The Dexron (GM and Chrysler Spec) was formulated to slip more then the Ford type, giving a smoother shift. He used his Mom's Imperial of why you needed a smoother shift.

So... that said, I always used Type F... but its not always available.

I've been going to look at some of the newer synthetics for mine.

Big John

Reaction score
I haven't done much research on it yet, but in theory the synthetic shouldn't break down because of temperature and should run cooler.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
The hot tip was always to use Type F (Ford) trans fluid. I heard that right from Bill Hancock, Chryslers performance trans engineer. The Dexron (GM and Chrysler Spec) was formulated to slip more then the Ford type, giving a smoother shift. He used his Mom's Imperial of why you needed a smoother shift.

I was once told that the B&M Trick Shift tranny fluid was actually just Type F...

:jester:

Big John

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Big John":1jf9wywb]The hot tip was always to use Type F (Ford) trans fluid. I heard that right from Bill Hancock, Chryslers performance trans engineer. The Dexron (GM and Chrysler Spec) was formulated to slip more then the Ford type, giving a smoother shift. He used his Mom's Imperial of why you needed a smoother shift.

I was once told that the B&M Trick Shift tranny fluid was actually just Type F...

:jester:[/quote:1jf9wywb]

I don't know... I do remember being told by someone years ago, I think it was Bill Hancock, not to use the B&M trans fluid. The B&M stuff was blue, so it wasn't just repackaged Type F.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
The 727 isn't very sensitive to what you put in it. I don't think you will see much difference in anything unless you are looking dino versus syn.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Before I started the car the other day, I checked the fluids including the tranny. The fluid covered about 4-5 inches on the stick. Once I got the started and checked the fluid again, with it in neutral, and it didn't show on the stick at all. Any ideas what could cause this? If it matters, I do have a deep tranny pan on the car.

Big John

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Before I started the car the other day, I checked the fluids including the tranny. The fluid covered about 4-5 inches on the stick. Once I got the started and checked the fluid again, with it in neutral, and it didn't show on the stick at all. Any ideas what could cause this? If it matters, I do have a deep tranny pan on the car.

When the car is not running, all the trans fluid drains back into the pan making the level high. When its runnning (in neutral) the oil pump in the trans is running and fluid is pushed through the trans and torque convertor and the level goes down.

The trans needs to be at operating temperature to get the true level reading too. My rule of thumb is to get the fluid so it just shows on the dipstick when its cold and then check it when its hot. Don't overfill it... the fluid will get whipped into a froth by the rotating assembly and then the trans won't work correctly because of the air in the fluid.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Thanks, John. Another question. The normal capacity is 15 1/2 pints, or 7 1/2 quarts. Is that correct? With the deep pan, how much more would I add? Thanks again.

Big John

Reaction score
I dunno.. I think its two quarts but I don't remember.

Edit: I just looked at them in the Jeg's catalog. They say an extra quart.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Thanks, John. Another question. The normal capacity is 15 1/2 pints, or 7 1/2 quarts. Is that correct? With the deep pan, how much more would I add? Thanks again.
Those are generally two quarts extra but I would check!

Back