• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 axle seal leaking

rapid67rt

Reaction score
My axle seal is leaking on the passenger side. I looked at the service manual and noticed a special tool is needed to remove the seal and push the new one in. Any way around this or just your experience? This would be the first time I have replaced a rear axle seal.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah,take your time, and between a chesel and an old screw driver you can get the old seal out. and I used a wooden dowel and tapped the new seal in.

A31PKG

Reaction score
A couple tips: Be sure not to install too far, or else the seal will not ride on the machined surface of the axle. Not far enough, and the seal may contact the bearing collar. Measure first! Also be sure to check axle end-play while your at it... some good info/diagrams in the service manual as well. :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
yeah,take your time, and between a chesel and an old screw driver you can get the old seal out. and I used a wooden dowel and tapped the new seal in.

X2. Never used anything that wasn't already in the tool box or lying on the work bench...

A31PKG

Reaction score
Also, support the axle as best you can while you insert it into the housing, so as not to contact/damage the seal lip as it slides in....

4spd69RR

Reaction score
The axle seals are always fun to replace, I had to replace one on my passenger side as well several years ago. Make sure you have a good jack to remove the differentual, those babies are heavy. Once it removed and you remove the lock ring the axle will slide out. I did not use any special tools to remove the seal other than a screw driver. A good hint would be to take some pictures of the old seal before removing it so you can remind yourself which direction to install the new one. Ensure you also take a couple of measurement so that you press the new seal to far into the housing.

A31PKG

Reaction score
4spd69RR said:
....Make sure you have a good jack to remove the differentual, those babies are heavy. Once it removed and you remove the lock ring the axle will slide out.....

??? You do not remove the differential to extract an axle from an 8 3/4 rear. Maybe confusing it with another type?

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
4spd69RR said:
....Make sure you have a good jack to remove the differentual, those babies are heavy. Once it removed and you remove the lock ring the axle will slide out.....

??? You do not remove the differential to extract an axle from an 8 3/4 rear. Maybe confusing it with another type?

:eek: :leave:

4spd69RR

Reaction score
You guys are good, I am mistaking. When I replaced my rear seals I also change my Dif at the same time. I change the 3:23 out for 3:55. I had waited to do both jobs at the same time. It was many years ago around 1990.

rapid67rt

Reaction score
Thanks for all the good Ideas!! I got lucky and a member of my club that owns a shop let me borrow the tools for the weekend!!! He said to just make sure and measure the old one first.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Getting them out is easy once you pull the axle. The passenger side has the adjuster on it so you have to adjust the end play of the axles, or just go to a green bearing and take out the thrust spacer between the two axles. Make sure whatever you use to put that seal in is as close to the circumference of the seal as possible. Some use large sockets, and others pipe, but if it doesn't go in square the side will buckle or jam, or go concave in the middle. I found a piece of pipe that was perfect and cut it square and worked like a dream. Take your time and seat it square and do not beat to death.

If you are interested I have two original 69 axles with green bearings on them for a good price and they only have about 5 miles on them before I decided to narrow the dif and put in moser axles. If anyone is interested PM me.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
BBillyC said:
If you are interested I have two original 69 axles with green bearings on them for a good price and they only have about 5 miles on them before I decided to narrow the dif and put in moser axles. If anyone is interested PM me.

Billy - start a new thread in the for sale section - that way they won't get missed by a prospective buyer. :thumbsup:

Back