• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

83/4 Pinion seal

TOMRR

Reaction score
Got some seepage pinion seal 8 3/4 489 case , Any one ever change one ??

Tom C.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Iv'e done a few. Pretty cut and dry on 741 and 742 center sections. A breaker bar and a pipe to extend the handle to break the pinion nut loose, remove the yoke and seal. Then replace the seal and yoke and torque to spec. Problem is you have a 489 case which most likely still has a crush sleeve in it. When torque the nut you can change the gear set up by crushing the sleeve further pulling the pinion gear further out. If you are careful you can still do it the sleeve is pretty tough.

vso737

Reaction score
I have the SAME issue in my '69 RR. I will SOON find out.....................................
Will post something if it is worth mentioning. I will be purchasing a 36" breaker bar today.

RonLiv

Reaction score
Dam 69HemiBeep. You probably forgot more than I'll ever know, and I don't know a lot. Your like a frickin human repair manual.

vso737

Reaction score
Well, good news, I finally got under the car and took a close look at the 489 carrier. It is NOT leaking. I had the carrier worked on when I purchased the car in 2015. I had a specialty shop replace the ring and pinion with a set of 2:65. I have less than 4K miles since the work was done.
I have had issues with gas spilling over when I fill the gas tank. This is most likely where the leaking gas came from. I could NOT find a gasket for the gas cap so I made one and have NOT had any issues for years. The only other culprit could be the sending unit gasket. The car had a new tank installed by the previous owner. I have been having issues with the gas gauge and now is the time to pull the sending unit out and install the one I purchased last year. I did NOT install it because my testing showed the same result as the one in the tank, they both read 3/4 full on a full tank.

The BAD news is, I ASSUME (which makes an ASS out of YOU and ME) and purchased the pinion seal and speedi yoke sleeve- not to mention a 36" breaker bar to go with the socket set I already own. I was ready for WAR after reading all the neat INFO on the rear carrier on this website..............................LOL

NOW, I need to know where are the BEST (safest) locations to place jack stands and/or ramps in order to raise the rear of the '69 RR and lower the rear as far as possible so I can have room to remove the gas tank sending unit. I plan on syphoning as much gas out of the tank as possible as well.

As always, open to suggestions and thank you in advance.
LG,
Mike

Back