• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A 255-60-15 radial in the front?

woodwiz

Reaction score
I have seen a 70 Roadrunner with a 255-60-15 on the front to match it on the rear. Does that seem to wide for the front end? Should I tone it down a bit to say..245 or 235?
Thanks in advance!!

cosgig

Reaction score
Seems too big for the front IMO, but it would probably fit.

woodwiz

Reaction score
More than likely we are going to go with a 245-60-15…Coopers,BFG t/a’s or the Milestar(streetsteels).

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Make sure your rim's have the proper back spacing. Running 7 inch wide on my front 8's on the back.

woodwiz

Reaction score
I have always heard about backspacing and I guess back in the day I never gave it too much thought. How is backspace measured? I have factory Steel wheels at 15x8 front and rear. I’m thinking it is pointless to think a 245 or larger in front will have any advantage over the current 235-70-15,so my plan is to go 245-60 all the way around or put the 255-60-15 in the rear…but to me it seems to be a visual thing….just mulling it over. Opinions on those options please?

woodwiz

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger today on a set of Milestar (street steel) 245-60-15’s. Just wanted a good looking tire that wasn’t a Cooper or a BFG-t/a. The price and balance and svc. out the door could not be beat! Get this, I left the shop and drove down the road at 35-40 mph with all the expansion joints and tar seals and I could hear and feel it all….tires or suspension inspection…Here we go!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So did you rebuild the front end. Have you replaced the shock's. The thing is new tires will make you feel and here a lot more of the road noise. These cars are not the car's of today. They weigh more and act different. Did you get rid of the finder strike or tire rub on the front fender. Classic industries book in the rim section gives you the way to measure the back spacing.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Hey Russ! Morning from the HOT desert! I am taking a close look at the front end components which most have been replaced,however things like ball joints and their lubrication are going to be looked at.Shocks are fairly inexpensive compared to other parts so that has joined the list of scrutiny.
Now the fender rub thing I believe may be a couple of things. 1.If fenders were hung just a tad too far rearward,but all body gaps are excellent. 2. There is a tweak in the right side suspension. The 235-70-15 tires from the front are no longer we now have 245-60-15 which according to specs are not as large (diameter). So that might bail me out. Yes these are heavy big cars and unless you go in and gut the interior and lay down floor,door,firewall,and trunk insulation you are going to hear it all…I’ll be working on a solution…I’ll keep ya’ll in the loop.
Thanks!!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
The front tire look's like the right size now. Could check to see if your height from the ground to the center of fender opening is the right height. That is in the service manual here on the sight. Like the raised white lettering on those tires. Yes I put insulation on the floor in the roof also. Used X matt from east wood. Lot less expensive than other company's and still is rated the same. The roof is a different type still X matt but for the hotter area. It has a aluminum sheet and cant see it through my head liner or if you do it is not that noticeable. Ran the floor from fire wall seam to the back seat pan. Did not go up to the package tray. After time you will get use to what you here in these older vehicles. LOL. Take care and safe driving.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Looks good. I went with Magnum 500 7s front and 8s rear. 245/60 and 275/60. I don't have power steering so the 245s are one size bigger than what I have on the Rallye's now. Going to be a bitch to steer. Power steering next.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Is it that hard to turn Terry. NO power steering on mine and it turn's well. I don't have to fight it at all. But do have a new steering box. The old one was shot. No it is not that one with more ratio to make it easy. Had heard some bad thing's about them so went standard. Let us know how the power steering swap goes. :thumbsup2:

V.R.D

Reaction score
i have had manual steering for 37 years and would never put power on mine. under-ster is better than over-ster

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Oh that is what is going on. I stayed with the stock ratio. What steering box did you get. Have seen other guy's post that some are faulty.

Back