• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-833 leak

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Just want ideas on how hard or how much it will cost me to fix a tranny leak. Got the 68 RR running and supposedly got a rebuilt A-833 with the car, but even at an idle, pukes out a 6 or 8 inch puddle within a few minutes out the front of the tranny. Guess they have a seal of some sorts in front? How hard to change and how much if that's all that is wrong? Thinking about just trailering it to a tranny shop unless it's fairly easy to fix. Tired of issues to say the least. Car still up on stands, has not left the shop yet. Be nice to finally drive it.

quikbird

Reaction score
if it is the front seal it has to come out of the car. remember when you pull the driveshaft all the gear lube will fall out the back so either have a pan or a big plug for it. makes a hell of a mess on the floor. don't ask how I know. very heavy too. harbor freight has a great little tranny jack that helps here also

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
It's coming out the front. Looks like there is a seal (by the old manual I have) and the diagram is so small I can't tell if it's an O ring or what. Yeah, I know it has to come out, but just didn't know how hard it was to replace. Maybe the front cover just unbolts and it's behind it?

quikbird

Reaction score
nope, goes over the input shaft so out it comes to get to the shaft. four bolts hold cover. this tranny is heavy, so at least two people are needed and it is still a handful. I don't know how high in the air you can get the car, be careful, this thing will drip hypoid gear oil all over the place and it is a real mess to clean up!

mcmopar

Reaction score
If you can get your hands on the 1969 Plymouth Service Manual go to page 21-27 and look at figure 37 in the lower right corner of the page. There is a seal on the back side of the Drive Pinion Bearing Retainer. The Retainer bolts to the trans with 4 bolts and is easy to remove. Perhaps this seal needs replaced. Can't say for sure but it might be a good place to start. If you can't find a copy of the manual I can xerox it tomorrow at work and post it for you.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
If you can get your hands on the 1969 Plymouth Service Manual go to page 21-27 and look at figure 37 in the lower right corner of the page. There is a seal on the back side of the Drive Pinion Bearing Retainer. The Retainer bolts to the trans with 4 bolts and is easy to remove. Perhaps this seal needs replaced. Can't say for sure but it might be a good place to start. If you can't find a copy of the manual I can xerox it tomorrow at work and post it for you.

FSM in our tech section.

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
I've got a copy of the service manual, just wanted some feedback on how hard or easy the seal was to replace. Thanks for your input, was hoping that removing the cover would reveal the seal. Don't know until I drop the tranny if a speedy sleeve would be needed, but hopefully not. I just want to drive it.

mahoney0_00_3

Reaction score
the seal go's bad cause the front bearing is bad lots of the time, if u take the trans out get a driveshaft yoke or a hard plastic cup and tape it up to contain the oil if your trans need freshing up it s not a big deal--if the gears are bad or shafts are worn you will spend some money ,you can have the whole trans rebuilt pretty cheap if you take it out--call the mom and pop shops for a price!stay away from cottman and big box shops --my buddy rebuilt mine for 700 bucks with new bearing and seals --there are needle bearing and replaced a shaft-replace your crankshaft bushing too16964_103884009636159_3729697_n.jpg

16964_103884009636159_3729697_n.jpg

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Well, got it done. Found the front bearing retainer was cracked. Some crackhead tightened the bolts too tight without a gasket (part of the problem). Found a good retainer in Arizona, 20 miles from home the same day. Got a new seal and gasket installed and wallaaa. No more leak. Thanks guys for your advise!

Back