• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few updates....

Collin

Reaction score
We have been battling high humidty and some hot weather here in CT, along with overtime for both my father and I. We swapped fenders out with my future father in law, stripped them, welded a few patches and started to spread some filler. We also managed to put some filler on the hood, and spray our first coat of primer. We are using Rage Gold body filler, Transtar primer/sealer, and we are going to finish up with a high build primer to fill our little imperfections.

After a long wait and back orders, my camshaft has finally arrived. Went with a Comp XR280HR, new rocker arms shafts, a cloyes 9 key way billet timing chain, bronze distributor gear, springs, locks, retainers etc. We are just waiting on a mopar performance windage tray, which is back ordered. This all goes along with the Diamond forged pistons. Specs are at 480 horse, 485 ft/lb torque. SO it will finally be nice to bring these parts up to the engine shop and hopefully get the block back in about 2 weeks.

Heres a few pictures of our progress with the bodywork, pictures were at the early stages. One of the toughest jobs here was sanding the underside of the hood. I really wanted this to look great so we used the DA sander a long with a lot of work by hand, and the final product looks great. I also managed to pull a mouse nest about the size of a large football out of the underside of the hood where the latch goes. A media blaster would have come in reaaaal handy at this point, but we dont have one so screw it.

Collin

Reaction score
few more........old pictures, at this time we do have primer sprayed on the hood, underside of hood, and L fender.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I have that 280 comp in one of my AMC 401s and really like it .

Collin

Reaction score
Did you put an aftermarket intake on it? We could have gone one size bigger with the cam, but we would need to switch to an aftermarket intake. Comp recommends I do the same with this cam, but i want to make sure that the air grabber still seats right. Going to use headers as recommended by comp

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Collin said:
Did you put an aftermarket intake on it? We could have gone one size bigger with the cam, but we would need to switch to an aftermarket intake. Comp recommends I do the same with this cam, but i WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT THE aIR gRABBER STILL SEATS RIGHT. gOING TO USE HEADERS AS RECOMMENDED BY cOMP.
Intake headers and 750 vac Holley no port work done on this one. Has good bottom end and power to 6000 and it gets real happy with the headers open. This is in about a 3300 lb Jeep

Collin

Reaction score
engine shop says car should run FINE with original carter AVS, stock Intake and headers. For higher performance a replacement carb and intake was recommended.....not going to be raced so we figured for what I want, these things should perform great.

mcmopar

Reaction score
If you want an aftermarket intake that will fit with your air grabber get the Mopar Performance M-1 Dual Plane intake (not the single plane). It is basically an aluminum version of the stock intake but it makes a bit more horsepower than the cast iron stocker. It will fit the air grabber no problem and take about 20 lbs off the front end of the car.
That's a good sized cam. I'm running a flat tappet equivalent - Comp's XE275HL-10 (231-237 @ 110 c/l w/.525" lift [.560" w/1.6 rockers]) and it's a bit too much for my taste. You are definitley going to limit it with a stock AVS - even with an AVS for a 440. A Holley 750 would be a much better carb - or for the stock look - an Edelbrock Thunder AVS 800. The MP intake listed above will definitely be a good/required upgrade as will headers, which I believe you said you were going to use. Don't forget the 2500+ stall converter and 3.55-3.91 gears and Sure Grip along with a shift improver kit and an aftermarket trans cooler. If you just go with the big cam and don't do the other required upgrades you will most likely be disappointed as the car may well run like a dog. Remember, it's a package deal - upgrade one component and the domino effect takes over - you have to upgrade other components as well to get a balanced package and good performance.
BTW - stock heads with that cam will also hinder it a bit, too. The stock heads don't flow all that well over .450" lift. You have much more than that and a lot more duration as well. Do yourself a favor and consider some pocket porting and a good 3 angle vavle job. Like I said, upgrades lead to upgrades if you want it to be right :thumbsup:

Back