• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Little Help Please

Piedog

Reaction score
Hello,

A good friends brother in law recently passed away unexpectedly. My friend ask me to help him and his sister sell the deceased's 1969 1/2 Road Runner. I know GTO's not RR's but clearly some things are the same regarding classic car value: options, originality, condition. I've not seen this car and don't have pictures yet. This is what I've been told: Black, Hardtop, 400-6, 727 auto, straight, clean, no rust, restored in 2004 by Bob Peck. VIN RM23M9A272992. I don't have the fender tag info yet. I don't know if numbers match etc. Is there anything particular about this model I should look for regarding options or places to look on the car for condition issues that would impact value one way or the other? Thanks in advance.

Piedog
Michigan

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
sorry for the loss. I;ll let the A12 guys speak up on this one. pics will definatly help.

earlyrides

Reaction score
"M" code Runners go for good money. Especially clean well restored ones.
Do they have a number in mind other than "as much as they can get"?
You got the majority of what anyone will want to see or hear about.
- lots of pictures - vin tag, fender tag, inside, outside, engine, undercarriage.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Also check for the VIN stamped on the transmission and right side of the block just above the oil pan. Also a partial VIN stamped on the left upper radiator support and if you want to go to the trouble under the trunk weather strip, left side quarter panel about a foot from the front.

roadrunner restoration 1009 (640x480).jpg

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
These guys have covered the high points. The bottom line is you won't get anyone with any gumption to throw out a number until they see pics. I will throw out a few other thoughts however:

There is a website devoted to the M-Code 440-6 RR & SB A12s called The Lift Off Hood Playground. They have a cars for sale forum that will provide you with some idea of the market conditions for these cars currently as well as be a good place to advertise the car. Here is a link:
http://a12mopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl

The Fender Tag probably won't tell you much. All of the A12 cars were built at Lynch Road and their FTs contain precious little info. If they have the broadcast sheet that would be a great resource in determining how correct the car is.

As for things to look for - is the car a console or column shifted automatic? There was a recent thread on the LOH Playground that noted that this will impact the value and how quickly the car will sell. Column shifted automatics are unofficially the least desirable of all A12s. There are a number of super nice column shifted A12s (mostly Bees) on the market right now. No one is looking for them at the prices being asked and the cars are staying on the market for long periods of time as a result.

There are a number of little things to look for: H-code wheels, idle stop solenoid, 054 radiator, 070 fan clutch, 4392, 4393, & 4394 coded carbs, and of course the '69.5 specific air cleaner assembly. All of these things are covered in great detail on the LOH Playground. The numbers matching thing won't have tremendous impact on the value as long as it has a correct 440. A few grand at most on a really nice car. These cars were purpose built for stoplight grand prix supremacy, driven as intended, and most of them don't have the engine that they were born with as a result. Again, all verifiable on the LOH Playground.

Good luck with the sale, sorry for the loss of your friend's brother-in-law, and welcome to the site.

Ray

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Being its an automatic it may have the original motor but not the trans. The automatics saved the motor from over revving but the auto was usually exchanged when wore out.

Piedog

Reaction score
Wow! Lots of good information! I'll go see the car & get pics more info. I'm sure he has a file on the car somewhere and I've asked her to find it. I was told the restorer said $65k in 2004 but that was then and could have been a little self serving. I don't think this will be holdout for the last dime deal. BTW its a console floor shift. Thanks again I'll be back with more.
PS. 40+ yrs ago I owned a 70 GTX 440-6 4spd. Had that wild shifter don't remember what it was called. Not a car an 18yr old should have had but everybody lived!

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Piedog said:
Wow! Lots of good information! I'll go see the car & get pics more info. I'm sure he has a file on the car somewhere and I've asked her to find it. I was told the restorer said $65k in 2004 but that was then and could have been a little self serving. I don't think this will be holdout for the last dime deal. BTW its a console floor shift. Thanks again I'll be back with more.
PS. 40+ yrs ago I owned a 70 GTX 440-6 4spd. Had that wild shifter don't remember what it was called. Not a car an 18yr old should have had but everybody lived!

Pistol Grip. :drive:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
as much as I like my four speeds, it's really a shame that the column autos are looked down on as much(me included). In high school I could've traded a classmate a rusted out '69 Mustang parts car for a really nice original '69 Coronet R/T. All it needed was some lower 1/4 work. Passed on it because of the column auto. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
as much as I like my four speeds, it's really a shame that the column autos are looked down on as much(me included). In high school I could've traded a classmate a rusted out '69 Mustang parts car for a really nice original '69 Coronet R/T. All it needed was some lower 1/4 work. Passed on it because of the column auto. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

I am as guilty as anyone. I bitch up a storm everytime I drive the Swinger or the '74 Duster. "Damn, this thing would be so much more fun with a 4/5/6 speed." I don't see myself doing any competitive drag racing so I just don't want any automatics at this point.

What you say is especially true of the A12s. You couldn't get a better dual purpose street/bracket race car. Just put the number on the window, put it in "D", go win some money, and try to wipe the smile off of your face... :D

:jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and the worst part of my story is, this classmate had a '65 Mustang. It was a 6cyl, and he wantwed to do a V8 swap. Out of the blue, he popped up with the R/T. It had been bought new by a local firefighter. I had my '74 Torino, that I was making into a Starsky & Hutchmobile. The engine croaked not long after I got it (a sign of the next fours years). A budy's Uncle had the rusty ;69 Mustang I got for the 302. I was in our driveway working on the Torino one day and the guy with the R/T comes walking up the road. The fuel pump had died. He asked about the Rustand, no, I want the engine(what he was after). I pulled the R/T to his place. I saw him at school a couple days later and asked if he got it running. Naw, I junked it. I cut out of school early and flew down to the local yard. Too late it was crushed the day before. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
csuk9 said:
I love my auto with the air shifter for racing & In LA traffic, with a clutch??? Gotta love my Automatic :)
YES ......GOTTA LOVE THOSE 727"S.....THE GUYS HERE CALL THEM GIRLYMATICS.......WE HAD THIS OUT AWHILE AGO..... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

moparchris

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Basketcase said:

I am as guilty as anyone. I bitch up a storm everytime I drive the Swinger or the '74 Duster. "Damn, this thing would be so much more fun with a 4/5/6 speed." I don't see myself doing any competitive drag racing so I just don't want any automatics at this point.

What you say is especially true of the A12s. You couldn't get a better dual purpose street/bracket race car. Just put the number on the window, put it in "D", go win some money, and try to wipe the smile off of your face... :D

:jester:

:yeathat:

Girliematic Girliematic Girliematic :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
[quote="moparchris:[/quote]

:yeathat:

Girliematic Girliematic Girliematic :lol:[/quote]
Your being an A-hole again :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
REAL MEN DRIVE MANUAL STEERING AND MANUAL BRAKES......WE ARE TOO BUSY STEERING AND STOPPING TO SHIFT 4 SPEEDS.....MENOMATICS...LOL

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I have no trouble manualy steering,shifting,braking my road runner, and I'm even able to manualy wind down my windows..... :stuckup: :D

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
:yeathat: w
Basketcase said:
I have no trouble manualy steering,shifting,braking my road runner, and I'm even able to manualy wind down my windows..... :stuckup: :D

Back