• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little something I just ordered (not car related)

mcmopar

Reaction score
[attachment=0:2i1l9m57]chess set.jpg[/attachment:2i1l9m57]

Found this last week and ordered it Firday. I'm always on the lookout for fine and unique chess sets in the cassic Staunton style. I have 2 other nice wood sets but this one is nicer than them both. I'm looking foward to putting this one to some good use!

You can check it out here:
http://app.thechessstore.com/#product?pid=PSBB375DP
You can click on the images for the separate sets of pieces to see them close up. The detail looks really nice! I got it for $266 including shipping. Not bad!

chess set.jpg

mcmopar

Reaction score
Should be here next Monday. Coming out of Oregon. I'm really looking forward to this set :thumbsup:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Got it in today. Nice set and board! I'm looking forward to playing a few games again.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I played allot of chess as a kid, my great grandmother taught me in the 1st grade. But that's gone to the sideline like golf.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Just got the companion set to the first one (pic above of the first one). Been watching it for awhile and since I had a little extra "green" I decided to go for it.
You can see it here: http://app.thechessstore.com/#product?pid=PSBS375VC
This one comes with a board that is also a case with drawers for the pieces. Got it in yesterday and it looks really nice. I'll be modding the drawers to add compartments for each individual piece and also line the compartments with green felt.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I made the top of this one in the 8th grade with walnut and ash then when the top of my grand dads delaminated my dad mated my table top to his dads base. Now its job is holding a lamp :basketcase:

DSCN5577 (800x600).jpg

mcmopar

Reaction score
Nice table. It's not as easy as it seems to make a checker or chess board. Getting all the individual pieces to lay flat can be quite challenging. Nice job!

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
cool chess set, my Pops has a set of large Green & white Jade figures/pieces set... some day I will make another board for it... sorry the photo is bad

Jade Pieces.jpg

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
you can make a board pretty easy, laminate strips together of darker & lighter woods equally spaced/wide, then rip/crosscut with a nice sharp blade, rip them on a table saw same width as the strips, re-laminate/glue & pipe clamp back together, alternating rows, then sand the heck out of them or if you know someone with a nice really sharp surface planer, you could plane them, anyway glue & clamp them together the size of the board desired, 4 of each color 8 squares wide by 8 squares long, alternating colors....

Last edited:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Very nice! I like chess is very good for the brain, I often play with my grandfather.

I play online sometimes on a site called instantchess.com. I prefer to play in person but sometimes can't. Started a chess fellowship/club at church and so far we have had 8 meetings. We meet every other Monday night. So far we have 6-8 players and all are relative beginners. It has been fun helping them learn how to improve their game.

Back