• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A scare from my Cuda today!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I took the Barracuda to a show today and it ran well as usual. On the way home I was looking for a spot to clean out the secondaries. As it turned out I chose the right spot. So I opened them up for a good cleaning and when I took the foot out of it, the engine kept speeding up! :eek: I couldn't pull the pedal up with my foot. WTF!!!! The piece of road I chose had a small rest area on it so as I came up to it I popped it out of drive, shut it off, and got it stopped. I pop the hood and check the linkage on the left side, saw that there was slack in the cable from the pedal and couldn't find anything that would keep it from returning to close. I check the right side and find that one of the plug wires had slipped down between the primary and secondary shoes, I thing that's the right term. I pull the wire out and tuck it away, problem fixed. It did make me think fast when it happened and it turned out OK. On my vacation a few weeks ago I had removed everything I could except the engine, so I could clean and repaint the engine compartment and all the components in there. You check and recheck everything and think everything is OK. It's funny how overlooking something so simple could potentially get you in big trouble!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking from experience...I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS... :yesnod:

Glad you got it shut down with no additional problems!

:jester:
Ray

Roadcuda

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
WOW! Glad you are OK. I check stuff over several times and still have problems creep up. :crazy:
Thanks guys. I did have plenty of room to avoid any problems with other cars as it was the start of some open 2 lane highway. And isn't the "you think everythings good, but you just don't really know," part of the fun of owning old cars?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I had that happen in my '68 Charger once. scared the pogies outta me.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Glad your okay,a buddy of mine at work went to high school with a guy that was in bad wreck with a 70 SuperBee back in the 80s when the throttle stuck,a girl riding with him was killed in the crash.I have had em stick on cars,sleds,and bikes,lucky I have always been at a time and place were you have time to react.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I remember dealing with that a few times back in high school when I drove my '79 Dodge exclusively. The throttle would get stuck occasionally wide open. First time it ever happened scared the shit outta me. It was in city traffic and that HP bored over and raised compression 318 stuck open made me think real quick. I dropped it into neutral and watched the tach shoot way up, engine screaming until I could coast onto a side street. Couldn't turn off the engine for the power steering and power breaks issue.

Glad you were ok as I'm sure that's a lot scarier with a HP big block than it was with a small block v8.

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
I crashed a 67 Camaro RS totalled it out on a telephone pole because of a stuck pedal.
the funny thing was when the car was uprighted and the hood was opened it was still stuck wide open. That is what saved me,my dad thought I was just acting stupid and crashed.
To only be 16 again right. :cheers: :drive:

hotrod98

Reaction score
I had the throttle stick wide open on my Super Comp dragster about four years ago. The pedal has the safety piece that hangs out to pull it back up in case the spring breaks, etc. It wouldn't budge. Seems the pedal stop went through one of the holes in the pedal and it wasn't coming back out. Thankfully, it was a long track and I managed to get it stopped without popping the chute. I hate packing chutes and it hadn't been out of the pack in years.
If that had happened out on the street, in my cuda, it could have been very bad.

droptop

Reaction score
I had a motor mount break once in my GTX back in the day. When the motor jumped up it bound up the linkage, and of course it was wide open. Shut the key off, and all was ok. I'm glad everyone's experiences with this problem has not ended in a disaster.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Confederate1969 said:
Glad you were ok as I'm sure that's a lot scarier with a HP big block than it was with a small block v8.

Yeah, If I had been in the Roadrunner I would have been more concerned. But as I said, I picked a place where there was less traffic and no worries of having to stop. The other thing was that when I let up on it, it was just getting into the good power range of that little Commando 273, now if that had been the Roadrunner, well...... And it's been interesting to hear everyones elses stories.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and the bad thing about the urge to turn off the key, is if you're in a newer car/truck, shut off the key and lock the steering. :eek:

John69RR

Reaction score
Glad to hear you and the car are OK. Guess I've been lucky to have never experienced a stuck throttle. Not that I really want to either.

Back