• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A01 Light Package how to tell if it had it originally?

A12

Reaction score
Okay I'll be up front with this; there's a claim that a certain '69 road runner was used as a (famous) test car back in the early spring of 1969, the problem I have with that claim the car in the test and just about ever other identical looking test car of that era had the same option the A01 Light Package with the obvious fender mounted "bullet" indicators. The car that is claimed to be the very same famous test car does NOT have the fender mounted turn signal indicators or a light switch in the trunk but those two details could have easily been removed during some point in the cars life. Here's a little twist that makes me feel there should be some "telltale" evidence that it has to have something left from the original A01 option; it supposedly did one or maybe only three magazine test after the "famous" test and then went to one owner there after before any major restoration was done so I believe that in no way did the magazine guys remove ALL of the A01 components nor did the first non-Chrysler employee owner. So what would I look for? I was thinking the map light should be there but a block off plate could have found its way there over the years, a light bulb socket in the glove box?, a light bulb socket or holes for mounting it in the trunk (where to look, any photos?), the ignition key switch light or delay or wiring? Was there a wire lead to the fender indicators that was added or are they on all of the wiring harnesses? Same question for the trunk wiring/harness and the map and glove box. This is a bench seat rr so no console light to search for. How about the bulkhead junction block was there a pin for the A01 option? So how could I prove or disprove a '69 road runner ever had or didn't have the A01 option, could someone erase EVERYTHING A01? Thanks.

MikeR

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I've added the light package to my car except for the turn indicators. Everything was there to add the accessory wiring harnesses. For example, the map light has its own harness that plugged into the existing harness.

The hardest piece to remove is the ignition light as that involves a bit more disassembly... but everything is removable.

That said... what if the "famous" test car had the lights added to the tops of the fenders just to dress it up??? Maybe the the test driver (who was probably real good with a 4 speed) needed to know when the turn signals were on?

Big John

Reaction score
It just hit me!

The trunk light screws into a bracket in the trunk... I think the switch cuts its own threads. If the threads are still there, there was a switch in it.... If there are no threads, then a switch was never in it.

Somebody without a trunk light needs to verify this!

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
My car has the lights but is also a "whatever they felt like" Lynch Road car. The key delay comes from a little pod piugged in below the radio. Looks like a turn signal flasher pod.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
mine doesn't have the trunk light(yet), and there are no threads.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I looked over their video ad, and then went and looked over the road tests. The fender lights are hard to see but I'm pretty sure I see one in one of the pics in the test.

One article has the A01 light package listed in a box detailing the options.

This is VERY odd. That car is suppose to have a world class restoration, and it looks it. :huh:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Not to sound stupid, but.........what road runner are you guys talking about? :huh:
Its kinda like yours but a little different :devil: :lmao:

Big John

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Not to sound stupid, but.........what road runner are you guys talking about? :huh:

The one in the road test.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:

This one...

With only a partial broadcast sheet left this question may go unanswered...but the car's history and whereabouts over the years seem pretty well documented. I'm guessing that the bullet indicators were added to dress it up for the magazine photo shoots and not replaced during the resto because they had no substantiation for putting them on. Or maybe BOSA just missed them in the drag test photos. Hell, just call Joe Carroll and ask him if it's that big of a deal... :D

:jester:
ACME

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
That would mean the car got new front fenders at some point then.

I thought in the video they claim only an OS 1/4 was changed out from the original metal.

Those fenders would have the holes in them if they were the original ones...

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Hey..........you guys apparently forgot that I'm the only one that can be a smart a$$ on this forum.......... :toetap: :toetap:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
my car currently has the delay relay. does anyone have a digram or tell me how this is to be wired to work correctly? and what interior lights does it control? :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Hey..........you guys apparently forgot that I'm the only one that can be a smart a$$ on this forum.......... :toetap: :toetap:

Okay...now tell us what the hell you're talking about...

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:

boy I'm glad I didn't post that...last thing I need is to look stupid..... :crazy:

Big John

Reaction score
mac said:
my car currently has the delay relay. does anyone have a digram or tell me how this is to be wired to work correctly? and what interior lights does it control? :thumbsup:

The only light it controls is the blue shaded light just above the ignition key.

A12

Reaction score
Big John said:
mac said:

The only light it controls is the blue shaded light just above the ignition key.

My original rr had the A01 option and when I got my second rr without it that was the first and only thing I missed was having the delay light at the ignition key switch. The delay switch now it the door interior light switch because I've learned to hold the door open a few inches while I find ignition and insert the key at night. My wife and young son stopped asking where I was going when I had to reopen the driver's door to put the interior light on to find the key switch at first until they realized what I needed to do. Now after driving it enough, like anything :rolleyes: :rolleyes: it's not that hard to find it in the dark by feel :rolleyes: :jester: My next car will get the A01 added to it if it doesn't have it already.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Four '69 RRs so far and not a one of them has had the A01...but that ignition switch light with the delay sounds like a really nice option for obvious reasons...

Back