• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOR SALE A12 Road Runner for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
One of a kind I would say. Nice looking A 12. I will be happy with my runner for what it is worth. Thanks for the pic.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
Of any car, an A12 would be my first choice.
Even over any other body Hemi car.
Don't like vinyl roofs though.
Not an appearance thing.
That's fine.
It's just the rust factor.
The way I read the ad the metal may be original but it's a replacement motor.
Informal poll.
Would the people rather have original metal and a non matching engine on a given car.
Or would the people rather have some replaced metal and an original drivetrain on the same car?

RonLiv

Reaction score
Not an appearance thing.
That's fine.
Informal poll.
Would the people rather have original metal and a non matching engine on a given car.
Or would the people rather have some replaced metal and an original drivetrain on the same car?
I think I would prefer the original drive train. Especially on an A12, or Hemi car for that matter.

RonLiv

Reaction score
I think I would prefer the original drive train. Especially on an A12, or Hemi car for that matter.
I will say though I disagree with you on the Hemi comment. If I had the choice, which I don't, I would much rather prefer a Hemi Convertible to an A12.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
I will say though I disagree with you on the Hemi comment. If I had the choice, which I don't, I would much rather prefer a Hemi Convertible to an A12.
Interesting.
You would rather have an E Body Hemi than an A12 B body?
Notice I said "have" here to clarify the proposition.
This takes monetary value out of the equation.
I.e. You can't plan on selling the hypothetical car.
You are stuck with it. It's your car.
Does this change your choice?
If not, why a convertible?
Do you really want one?
I view them like a swimming pool.
(In several ways)
Swimming pools can actually make a house less desirable to some people.
But other people want them.
Where I live a convertible is too hot for me as well.
I need the sun blocked.

RonLiv

Reaction score
Interesting.
You would rather have an E Body Hemi than an A12 B body?
Notice I said "have" here to clarify the proposition.
This takes monetary value out of the equation.
I.e. You can't plan on selling the hypothetical car.
You are stuck with it. It's your car.
Does this change your choice?
If not, why a convertible?
Do you really want one?
I view them like a swimming pool.
(In several ways)
Swimming pools can actually make a house less desirable to some people.
But other people want them.
Where I live a convertible is too hot for me as well.
I need the sun blocked.
Clarification: I would rather have a 69 Hemi Road Runner Convertible than a A12. 4-speed if I had a choice. What can I say, I'm a rag top man.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
In the last Mopar Action (Feb23) there is a write up on the Nationals.
Page 58 and a whole page of drama story over a Plum Crazy E 440 convertable for sale there.
I'd post it but probably copyrighted?
Thing is I would not trade just about any 69 B for that car.
Yuck.
(And that one of the prospective buyers had to have his "restoration guy" look at the car and turned it down speaks volumes about the state of The Hobby" and people to me.)
Screenshot_20221222-085904_Photo Editor.jpg

Last edited:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not an appearance thing.
That's fine.
Informal poll.
I'm clearly on the sheet metal side of this debate. My car came out of southwest Texas and was nearly rot-free as a result. Not a single body panel had to be replaced. I HATE rust and this for me was the Holy Grail. Opinions vary. Couple that with the fact that probably less than 10% of the remaining 4-speed A12 cars (according to a VERY knowledgeable and well known A12 guru that I shall not name here) actually retain their original engines due to the intended purpose and usage of these cars when they were new, and there just aren't a bunch of them out there to be quibbling over. Same guru advised me that of the ones out there that are touted as having their original numbers matching engine, most are simply running around with re-stamped blocks. Much higher survival rate on the 727 cars - but I don't care for girlymatics so I'm perfectly content having an A12 with a date code correct engine and its original sheet metal (and one NOS fender replaced very early in its life). JMHO.

cosgig

Reaction score
For me, there is only one car I really want anymore, my dads old 440/6 convertible 70. It was simply the most beautiful car I’ve ever seen, and it was an unholy beast of a car. It was special ordered through the wife of a Chrysler exec, who “followed” it down the line. Say what you will, but it ran 12:30 straight off the truck, and was runner up at the Summernationals in 1970. Dad never so much as put a wrench on that car, and sadly, had to trade it in in January of ‘71 when him and my Mom both got laid off. We’ve been looking for it ever since, no luck!

My 6bbl 70 came through the same dealership as Dads, probably the closest I’ll ever get to it, and that’s fine with me.

3983219F-E590-4F15-A87E-3D54A4B8C1FE.jpeg

BE169DC1-DB53-4711-8692-D9B2B5414BB6.jpeg

AF10F001-2EA1-46E5-AD12-6D862E9D4118.jpeg

D7C1A230-1028-4E14-A732-F0A4E0E0365F.jpeg

5BA84C64-D460-4501-A9F6-952EA6FA3F22.jpeg

20BE517F-FF69-42F0-8DF7-D4479BFB8143.jpeg

7AC64CA3-029C-4C2B-8291-DD195CA9A300.jpeg

RonLiv

Reaction score
For me, there is only one car I really want anymore, my dads old 440/6 convertible 70. It was simply the most beautiful car I’ve ever seen, and it was an unholy beast of a car. It was special ordered through the wife of a Chrysler exec, who “followed” it down the line. Say what you will, but it ran 12:30 straight off the truck, and was runner up at the Summernationals in 1970. Dad never so much as put a wrench on that car, and sadly, had to trade it in in January of ‘71 when him and my Mom both got laid off. We’ve been looking for it ever since, no luck!

My 6bbl 70 came through the same dealership as Dads, probably the closest I’ll ever get to it, and that’s fine with me.

View attachment 37090

View attachment 37091

View attachment 37092

View attachment 37093

View attachment 37094

View attachment 37095

View attachment 37096
This one checks a lot of boxes. Good luck with your search! Someone must have saved this one. I bet as ACME A12 pointed out though it probably has a new power plant from original. But who cares!

RonLiv

Reaction score
Bid is up to $67,750. I've been following the comments. Saw this one which was interesting regarding matching numbers engines. I can't say to what extent this is accurate, I just don't know.

"A ‘69 sixpack engine is no different than any other 440 from ‘66 thru ‘69. They magnafluxed the rods, no more. A ‘70 sixpack had the heavy rods and counterweights although the weak spot was still the rod bolt attachment points. This is a ‘67 440, other than the casting number absolutely no different than a ‘69 sixpack. Heads are ported, oversize intake and exhaust valves. 10.5:1 compression."

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
I'm clearly on the sheet metal side of this debate. My car came out of southwest Texas and was nearly rot-free as a result. Not a single body panel had to be replaced. I HATE rust and this for me was the Holy Grail. Opinions vary. Couple that with the fact that probably less than 10% of the remaining 4-speed A12 cars (according to a VERY knowledgeable and well known A12 guru that I shall not name here) actually retain their original engines due to the intended purpose and usage of these cars when they were new, and there just aren't a bunch of them out there to be quibbling over. Same guru advised me that of the ones out there that are touted as having their original numbers matching engine, most are simply running around with re-stamped blocks. Much higher survival rate on the 727 cars - but I don't care for girlymatics so I'm perfectly content having an A12 with a date code correct engine and its original sheet metal (and one NOS fender replaced very early in its life). JMHO.

I understand your A12 does not the original numbered engine and possibly the transmission?
Whether that is the case or not, make the assumption it is for a hypothetical.
(I fell like I'm asking you which part of your body you would cut off.)
But, is there any piece of metal you would sacrifice to have the original numbers engine and transmission if it was missing?
Discounting things such as a fender which is a "bolt on".
And understanding that there are internals which are irrelevant to the numbered block itself.
Perhaps this type of choice is the lesser of two evils.
And it might depend on a particular car to someone else.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to level set - my car retains its original transmission and rear end. Only the original engine is missing. Pretty common situation in the A12 world.

There's not a lot of A12 cars out there running around with all of their original unibody intact so it's doubtful that I would sacrifice much - maybe the dutchman... :lol:
I'd love to have the original engine block, but don't expect to ever see that happen. Somebody probably put a window in the side of it back in the early seventies and it's likely been melted down and recycled several times by now... I'm not losing any sleep over it...

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
I should clarify my terminology in post 14.
I said "body" when I should have said "anatomy" in my parenthetical thought.
i.e. Make the choice between one's male member or an arm?

My ophthalmologist has a brother who is a cardiologist.
He says they debate which is more important, the eyes or the heart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back