• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A4 questions

steve.f

Reaction score
Hi all , im fairly new to the site & really enjoying all its content. I have a 69 sport sat. that ive owned for23 yrs now & im going throught it on last time. The car has always been a tripple black car whitch i love the looks of but its begining to become such a chore to maintain that mirror finish and im looking towards a change. The car is an origanal A4 car, black top, black interior with the full trim package whitch i believe would be a beautiful car with a six-pack hood. My questions are, is the A4 a rare color, was it considered a option color meaning for additional cost and is it true it was the only color that was sanded & buffed. Thanks for any info Steve

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
steve.f said:
Hi all , im fairly new to the site & really enjoying all its content. I have a 69 sport sat. that ive owned for23 yrs now & im going throught it on last time. The car has always been a tripple black car whitch i love the looks of but its begining to become such a chore to maintain that mirror finish and im looking towards a change. The car is an origanal A4 car, black top, black interior with the full trim package whitch i believe would be a beautiful car with a six-pack hood. My questions are, is the A4 a rare color, was it considered a option color meaning for additional cost and is it true it was the only color that was sanded & buffed. Thanks for any info Steve
Any car that was going to be used for promotional reasons got buffed, that I know

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
steve.f said:
My questions are, is the A4 a rare color, was it considered a option color meaning for additional cost and is it true it was the only color that was sanded & buffed.
Any car that was going to be used for promotional reasons got buffed, that I know

I can sure see the promo thing happening and have heard that before too, but I have a hard time believing that they would be able to pull that off on a production basis. :cents:

A31PKG

Reaction score
What you are referring to is a '68-only thing. The Silver Metallic color (coded simply "A" in '68) was polished by hand at the factory according to legend. If you look at your data tag, find where it says "UBS" the "B" stands for "Buffed". There should be a digit under it to confirm. All non-Silver Metallic cars would be blank under the "B". Not sure what was done in '69 regarding A4 Silver. I'm sure that buffing an entire car slowed down production. I'll bet by '69 they nixed that operation?

Go here for lots of cool info....

http://andy440.com/tag.htm

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
black is awsome but a pain to keep clean. l've seen one A4 runner and lt dld have a 6 barrel hood and a black roof. fantastlc!

MOPARHOUND!

Reaction score
Troy is about 12 miles north of I-70 exit #210.

(East and a little north of downtown St. Louis about 40-50 miles or so.)

My opinion is Sport Satellites in any color at shows anymore are few and far between.

Color breakdown wasn't tracked by Chrysler until 1970, so 69 and older numbers can only be guesstimated.

While I can't verify my source at the moment, the 69 A4 silver paint was buffed from the factory.

I vote for Silver.

(But then again, I could be biased. There is a 69 GTX in the barn, A4 silver/silver int./black top, a 29 year resident.)

Back