• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A518

dbc105

Reaction score
This may have been covered but I didn't find it. Has anyone installed a A518? if so any details? someone from a trans shop should be able to tell me if there is a good factory torque converter to use. like maybe from behind a V6. I am looking at using a JW Ultrabell. anyone used one of these?

DC

moparchris

Reaction score
I have used the Ultrabell to put a A999 behind a 383 big block in my 68 Roadrunner. The Ultrabell is a nice piece and worked very well in my situation. That said, it does require some pretty heavy duty hacking to get it on. Dave at Protrans told me that for the next swap I do, I should use an adapter instead of the Utrabell due to how the Utrabells mounting to the front pump. He believes that the area and bolt holes arent strong enough to hold up under the rigors of a street strip car. I know that ProTrans in Lancaster Ca rebuilds the A518 and probably could steer you in the right direction. ProTrans is the company who builds almost all the stock and super stock torqueflites and also puts 904 internals in a 727 case. They have reasonable prices and are really the strongest and best shifting transmissions that I have ever encountered. I hope this clears things up a little for you. Feel free to ask any other questions. I will try to answer them as best as I can.

dbc105

Reaction score
moparchris, I am building a daily driver street car. the engine will remain stock an it will never see any drag time. the thing I liked about the Ultrabell was that everything stays in the same place as the depth of the bell is the same. use stock starter, flex plate, converter, linkage and the fact the is as about half the price of adapter kits. the things I am most interested in would be which converter to use, good mods or reliability upgrades. getting the speedometer to read correct, cross member mods, etc... on a Ford C4, the hot ticket for converter is to use a V6 converter behind a 302. bolts right in. or run a 4 cylinder pinto converter. requires the flywheel re-drilling but it is cheap and they hold up well behind a mild engine. I have also had the converter shop change the converter snout on a 2.8 S10 - 700 converter before to run behind a 350. worked great but the locked would slip in a hard load.

I have only built a couple of 727s so I never learned the tricks.

Thanks for the links droptop.

DC

Back