• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A87 Decor group and engine date questions

xcmtbjason

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome to the group! So here's my first requests to test out the collective power of knowledge.

A87 Decor Group - Does anyone know what this option includes, I've found some info about it, but nothing definatively listing out what is exactly part of this group.

This same "B Body" book I have also states that the transmission should have been built about 4-6 weeks prior to the car build date. My transmission is right at 4 weeks, but has no VIN stamp on it, it seems highly unlikely that this is not the original transmission. Is the VIN stamp always on the transmission?

Regarding an engine, what date range should I be looking for? How far in advance were engines built before put into the car?

I'm not going all out on an "original restoration" by any means, mostly just curious and want to try and get as close as I can.

Thanks,
-Jason

mcmopar

Reaction score
I've read that the engines were usually produced 5-6 weeks in advance of the build date of the car. Someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

mcmopar

Reaction score
Something I have here from the 1969 GTX, Road Runner and Belvedere Lineup booklet:
Road Runner Decor Group Package (A87)
(Available on 2-door coupe only)
Trim Codes:
M6 - Vinyl Buckets or
H2 - Vinyl Bench*
Rear Armrests With Ash Receivers
Bright B-Pillar Moldings
Deluxe Steering Wheel with Partial Horn Ring*
Chrome Tailpipe Extensions* (except Calif.)
Bright Door Trim Panel Moldings*
Bright Armrest Bases*
* Available in package only

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
I've read that the engines were usually produced 5-6 weeks in advance of the build date of the car. Someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

Probably depends on the assembly plant, John. The A12 cars only typically have a day or two between their engine assembly date and the build date of the cars. The engines were mostly (or only - depending upon your source) built on second shift (HP2) at Trenton, mated to their K-Member, and shipped over to Lynch Road for installation the next day. As Trenton did all B/RB engine assemblies it would make sense that there would be some lag time if the car was assembled at St. Louis or LA. :cents:

xcmtbjason

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! great info as expected. I'm going to have to find one of those options books, that a nice reference.
-Jason

ArcDevilz

Reaction score
My car has the A87 option. I can take photos of the interior if you want.

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Well, since I am one of the '68 Road Runner guys here, I don't have as much to offer regarding '69's.
Codes are different, stamping locations different, etc.

That being said, I thought I would provide the info for my ride.....

Stamping on pan rail of motor : PT383H23161640 these four number numbers on the 10,000 day calender would show 11/30/67 for the assembly date of the motor.
My block casting date is 11/14/67
Tranny: PK2801541J23083483 these four numbers on the 10,000 day calendar would show 11/22/67 assembly date of tranny.
around three weeks for the longest time between casting the block and assembly of the car.
C07 on my fender tag shows the car had a scheduled production date of 12/7/67.
On a 1968, the VIN is stamped on both the transmission and engine block where the bellhousing mounts to the motor (up top and easily read). Yeah, mine match.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:
Well, since I am one of the '68 Road Runner guys here, I don't have as much to offer regarding '69's.

Stamping on pan rail of motor : PT383H23161640 these four number numbers on the 10,000 day calender would show 11/30/67 for the assembly date of the motor.
Tranny: PK2801541J23083483 these four numbers on the 10,000 day calendar would show 11/22/67 assembly date of tranny.
around three weeks for the longest time between casting the block and assembly of the car.
On a 1968, the VIN is stamped on both the transmission and engine block where the bellhousing mounts to the motor (up top and easily read). Yeah, mine match.

Sorry Harry, you'll need to post this info over on 68LaMancha.net...but if you buy more T-shirts we'll let it slide... :lol:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
roadrunnerh said:

Sorry Harry, you'll need to post this info over on 68LaMancha.net...but if you buy more T-shirts we'll let it slide... :lol:

Kinda makes a guy wonder why there is no 68 or 70 site, except production numbers are lower :beep:

moparstuart

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
roadrunnerh said:

Kinda makes you wonder why someone hasn't set up a 68 or 70 site :beep:

we still keep hanging out here even though you guys keep trying to throw us out :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
we still keep hanging out here even though you guys keep trying to throw us out :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Actually there are about six other sites that are paying us to keep you over here... :lol: :acme: :lol:

droptop

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:

Actually there are about six other sites that are paying us to keep you over here... :lol: :acme: :lol:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:

I almost have enough to get my car painted!

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
:jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: glad i can help bring in some extra income , you must be making a killing off geogre

:lol: :lol: :lol:

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
..........tough crowd. :jester:

- another idea for generatiing some revenue, let's create a pool where each of us can purchase a date on the calendar, guessing when Ray will get the first stain on his new 69roadrunner.net T shirt.

moparstuart

Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:
..........tough crowd. :jester:

- another idea for generatiing some revenue, let's create a pool where each of us can purchase a date on the calendar, guessing when Ray will get the first stain on his new 69roadrunner.net T shirt.
i'm in for 5 bucks

Back