• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjusting the shifter

meepbeep69

Reaction score
When installed the pin was used in the shifter and all was well. Or so we thought.

I am very close to the dash pad in R, 1 and 3.

Anyone have any pictures of which ones to adjust to bring the shifter away from the pad?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
meepbeep69 said:
When installed the pin was used in the shifter and all was well. Or so we thought.

I am very close to the dash pad in R, 1 and 3.

Anyone have any pictures of which ones to adjust to bring the shifter away from the pad?
Take all the rods off then adjust 1st-2nd rod to where you like it then the others to match

meepbeep69

Reaction score
Bob,

How can I trust you if you post "All Green Things Must Die (Charlie Sheen)"?

I might have three reverse gears and one forward!

All kidding aside, which one is which?

We kinda did it this way.......I spin the adjuster's until they line up with each hole in their respective lever.You'll have to pull the allen wrench out to move one lever out of the way to install the inside one, but re-install the allen wrench.

Result is I am banging the pad in R 1 and 3.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
meepbeep69 said:
Bob,

How can I trust you if you post "All Green Things Must Die (Charlie Sheen)"?

I might have three reverse gears and one forward!

All kidding aside, which one is which?

We kinda did it this way.......I spin the adjuster's until they line up with each hole in their respective lever.You'll have to pull the allen wrench out to move one lever out of the way to install the inside one, but re-install the allen wrench.

Result is I am banging the pad in R 1 and 3.
It really doesn't matter as long as its not reverse. Drop the two rear ones might work better because you can put the pin through it when you start adjusting the others. Screw the adjuster in making the rod shorter should pull it away from the dash. When your happy with those two gears go to neutral and adjust the others to match! I believe the front rod is 1st, 2nd. This method should give you 16 reverse gears and one forward :lmao:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
RR Guys have been complaining about this since the cars were new. The OEM design puts the stock shifter uncomfortably close to the lower dash pad (especially if you really like to do some serious gear-banging) and you can only adjust the shift rods so much beyond their intended neutral positions without creating other problems... For a stock shifter I like the solution that one of the guys on the LOH Playground employed. He cut the shifter off above the point that the stab slips in, angle cut it, and welded it back together. On mine since I use a stock shift lever with a Competition Plus shifter mechanism I just drilled the mounting holes in the stick so as to angle it back towards the seat to achieve the desired additional knuckle room on the 2-3 upshift. All things considered I'd just rather have the shift rods in their intended neutral positions. :cents:

meepbeep69

Reaction score
The guy that is helping me is a retired Plymouth Mechanic who said it is normal now--banging the pad.

Per Ray that makes two.

He said it's a pita to do. Thank goodness we get to ues his rack. I can play with the gast gauge problem then.

C

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
RR Guys have been complaining about this since the cars were new. The OEM design puts the stock shifter uncomfortably close to the lower dash pad (especially if you really like to do some serious gear-banging) and you can only adjust the shift rods so much beyond their intended neutral positions without creating other problems... For a stock shifter I like the solution that one of the guys on the LOH Playground employed. He cut the shifter off above the point that the stab slips in, angle cut it, and welded it back together. On mine since I use a stock shift lever with a Competition Plus shifter mechanism I just drilled the mounting holes in the stick so as to angle it back towards the seat to achieve the desired additional knuckle room on the 2-3 upshift. All things considered I'd just rather have the shift rods in their intended neutral positions. :cents:
True you can only go so far, they don't have the adjustable stops like some other shifters

moparchris

Reaction score
Make it Three. I can tell you if you start shortening the rods to pull the shifter back, it will cause the shifter to hang up in between gears especially on speed shifting. The reason that Hurst wants the pin is to line up the nuetral gate and if you screw that up it will be likely you will get stuck in two gears at the same time as well. That one is a bitch to deal with when your out and about. I think Ray idea is probably the most correct way to fix it, or get a different handle. Odly enough my Super Bee has the stock shifter with a worn out handle, shifter box, and rods yet I still dont hit the dash. Go figure.

meepbeep69

Reaction score
Problem yet blessing is a retired Plymouth Dodge mechanic that started in the 60's at a local dealer. He is in his 70's now retired and a great guy. He and his wife can play with the Roadrunner anytime they want to local hangouts.

He scratches his head and says......."water pump and lower pulleys used to spark a bit when they came in off the truck and the shifters hit the dash."

We can fix the shifter from hitting the dash with adjustments but it is a pita. The sparks I don't have but they remedied themselves.

He said my shifter is about normal.

Yet I can't keep from feeling like I'm picking a cube of sugar from a plate when I shift. Sounds like I just ought to leave well enough alone!! :drive:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Maybe my memory isn't what it should be so correct me if and where I'm off base. Isn't a shifter that's out of a car stupid with no neutral gate until you line them up, only stops and side springs? And if so why can't you move your neutral with the rods as long as you get full engagement of the gears in both directions or are the stops to close. All I have had are console shifters no problem with dash clearance!

A31PKG

Reaction score
I did the same as ACME... My car had a Comp Plus installed as a day 2 mod... When I bought it, it had that goofy "S" shaped shifter handle. I hated the handle, but loved the Comp Plus shifter mechanism. I bought a correct handle at a swap meet and drilled the holes in a drill press. FYI, for those that don't know, the Comp Plus shifter handle bolts in, as opposed to a press-fit with a locking tab like O.E. Anyway, like ACME said, before you tighten the handle bolts, there is a smidgeon of play that allows one to "fine tune" the handle position. Of course, my Super Bee was all stock, shifted fine, and never hit the dash...Go figure X2....

I worked with a few senior Chrysler techs over the years....Some of the stories I've heard make me wonder how Chrysler sold any cars at all!

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Maybe my memory isn't what it should be so correct me if and where I'm off base. Isn't a shifter that's out of a car stupid with no neutral gate until you line them up, only stops and side springs? And if so why can't you move your neutral with the rods as long as you get full engagement of the gears in both directions or are the stops to close. All I have had are console shifters no problem with dash clearance!

I wasn't questioning you Bob, I was just sharing my experience around what I have owned over the years. I am sure you have a ton of experience in these things and I bet it can be done. I have had no luck in getting a shifter to work right without the pin in for adjustment. I have tried a few times to move the 1 and 3 throw so as to not ruin my dash pad but it always ends in a stuck shifter that I cant speed shift.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
69hemibeep said:

I wasn't questioning you Bob, I was just sharing my experience around what I have owned over the years. I am sure you have a ton of experience in these things and I bet it can be done. I have had no luck in getting a shifter to work right without the pin in for adjustment. I have tried a few times to move the 1 and 3 throw so as to not ruin my dash pad but it always ends in a stuck shifter that I cant speed shift.
It may be the fixed stops on these things don't allow much movement. Some of the old shifters I messed with had an adjusting bolt and nut at each end of the box and the first thing you did was adjust the forward swing of the shifter in the car. I just don't want to put out bad info. :yesnod:

meepbeep69

Reaction score
I will print all of this stuff & give it to my retired mechanic.

And I thought he scratched his head alot before!! This will really blow out some of the cobwebs.

One thing he's probably as passionate about getting this back on the road as I am which is really great.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
put in a Pistol Grip in and you'll really hit the dash.

Back