• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Cleaner Selection

zupanj

Reaction score
As I have been planning completion of my hemi project I had figured I would install a chrome dome type air cleaner on the top. Since I am using an Indy intake manifold the carbs are spaced farther apart than a stock hemi. This limits my choices enormously and they are expensive. I always liked the chrome dome look but I don't think it's correct for a '69 RR. I believe it would be correct for a '68 and the '69s had the oval orange air cleaner. I found one source for them, again expensive and I'm thinking maybe I should go with it. What do you guys think?

Jack :beep:

A12

Reaction score
I always like the '68 Hemi AF but not sure if it flows as much air as some other options? Is this the one we're thinking about :thumbsup:

MikeR

(BTW what color is your road runner?)

zupanj

Reaction score
My bird is T3 bronze. This air cleaner is a little bit different. The whole bottom plate has large perforations and the filter is set in there. You can't see it when the top is on but that is how it works. Seems like a pretty good idea. I will try to download a pic if I can.

Jack

ChromeDomeHemiLidAluminum.jpg
BottomFeederBaseplate2.jpg
BottomFeederBaseplate1.jpg

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Chrome

but an oval with the Coyote Duster decal would be cool if you don't have to have a "correct" look.

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
You just installed a brand new Hemi and you're worrying about cost now? LOL, go for it! The chrome cleaners look awesome on top of those motors... like the cherry on top of the sundae!

zupanj

Reaction score
Chris,

Point taken. I just ordered the orange oval cleaner instead of the chrome dome in spite of everyone's comments. There are a couple of reasons, first the round air cleaner is not correct for the '69. I know that Indy heads aren't correct either but I am trying to make the appearance as much stock as I can. The 6-pak hood isn't correct either for that matter. Second I talked to Tim Banning at For Hemis Only and he said that the round air cleaner doesn't feed enough air with the bottom plate and he recommended the oval air cleaner instead. It looks like a really nice piece but expensive (Sorry Chris).

Jack :beep:

Back