• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Compressor

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
John69RR said:
Interesting. Now I have another project. It's been 12 years with Sch 40 PVC, time for black pipe.

Maybe Gary will swing by this winter after he finishes running mine...

:jester:

John69RR

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Florida, then Texas. No problem. Maybe I can shoot a couple of Hogs while I'm down there....... :lol:

A couple??? This state is over run with hogs. They are tearing up new sub-divisions in what was once rice fields. They get to the deer feeders before the deer. Hunters are starting to use 36" high hog wire around the base of the feeder to keep the hogs out. The deer can get over the fencing but not the hogs. Checked out my PVC and Sch40 is rated for 480 psi.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
John69RR said:
Checked out my PVC and Sch40 is rated for 480 psi.

Keep in mind that is for water pressure and not air. The rule of thumb that I understand is 3:1, water rating:air rating. 480/3 = 160PSI air.

Sch40 working pressure ratings also drop quite a bit with temperature. At 120 degrees, the water rating drops to a factor of .4 times the rating at 73*. .480x.40= 192. 192/3 = 64PSI! At 140 the factor is .22 or 105PSI for water and 35PSI for air!

So... if the line runs overhead through an attic or crawl space that pressure rating drops off a lot... Of course the compressed air is hot too.

Here's some product specs for Sch40. http://www.harvel.com/tech-specs-pvc-pipe-40.asp

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
And after thinking about this today, I should have added that my concerns are about EVERYONE'S safety, not if I'm right or wrong. After spending a good portion of my life stomping around factories, I've become cautious... perhaps even a bit anal about stuff like this. :cheers:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Big John said:
And after thinking about this today, I should have added that my concerns are about EVERYONE'S safety, not if I'm right or wrong. After spending a good portion of my life stomping around factories, I've become cautious... perhaps even a bit anal about stuff like this. :cheers:
There is nothing wrong with thinking like that John. While Waste Management owned the place where I work they were on a constant saftey kick. They were having alot of accidents around the country, with truck accidents on the road, and accidents at their recycling plants and landfills. There were many cases of people being run over by either trucks or heavy equipment while backing up. Everyone had to wear their personal protective equipment, (ppe) trucks had to be a certain distance apart while dumping, use of lock out/tag out during any work on machines, safety meetings every week. I know that these things were necessary but it did get annoying sometimes because there was something new every week, and some of the things they wanted to do, well, it just got annoying because some of them were so obvious. To me some of the things caused more problems. Like hard hats. I found that when I was wearing one while working on a baler, I would hit my head more often the I would without one, and if a bale were to fall from a stack and fall on your head, all the hard hat would do is keep the brain matter in one place!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:

I'm quite certain that is exactly the way that your advise has been taken; I know for myself that is how I have taken it. :cheers:

:jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ah yes...PPE,lock out/tag out. I know thes well. IT does get annoying, at times, and some stuff should be obvious. But we've got some morons walking around our place.........you wonder how they breath on their own. One dipshit, a couple months ago, dropped a wooden skid on his foot. And he was wearing his stel toed shoes we recently were required to start wearing. He went out on workers comp for three weeks. The other day same idiot was teling a coworker about him and a buddy playing paint ball on his day off. He lifted his shirt to show off all the welts. I'll bet they hurt wayyyy more than that skid dropped from three feet.

John69RR

Reaction score
Big John said:
Your advise has not been taken lightly. Safety is paramount at our petro-chemical plant. At the time I installed the PVC there were numerous posts on Moparts about others doing the same. I was unaware of the dangers of PVC and compressed air. As far as safety goes, we use a "behaviour based" program at work. To put it simply, before you do a task ask yourself, "Would I let my son/daughter perform this task". Knowing what I know now, I have disconnected the PVC and run an airline directly from the compressor. Thanks Big.

Back