• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Grabber Lid

Collin

Reaction score
My original air grabber lid has some minor perforations to it. Not sure wether to try and repair it via weld or a fiberglass or all metal body filler. If I do need to get a new one I have a question. Is there really a size difference in the Hemi, Six pack and Air Grabber lid? I do not need a new base just the top lid. I am sure there has to be some difference here as they are listed under different part numbers but I am just curious what that difference is. I would like to get a metal lid and not a fiberglass repro.

LID.jpg

LID2.jpg

LID3.jpg

Collin

Reaction score
1 MORE
Worried that any body filler/ all metal/ fiberglass filler wont stand up the to heat of the engine. Weld would repair the hole but not the surface texture/corrosion

LID4.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
There are a bunch of different lids. AAR, Hemi,6pac, 69,70, all a little different

moparchris

Reaction score
Collin, I have some experience in this area on a Road Runner hood that I had laying around. First I sent the hood out to a chemical/acid dipping place to have all the rut removed. When it came back it had damage similar to your lid (although not as bad). What I did was lay on a couple of heavy coats of high build primer and block it out. I had to do this a couple of times to get it flat and straight. I don't know how it would stand up to engine heat. If you do decide to replace it, I think they are all the same. Also i collect old worn out air cleaner lids, so if you do get a new one keep me in mind. Selling this one could soften the blow of a new one.

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
There are a bunch of different lids. AAR, Hemi,6pac, 69,70, all a little different
I thought all air grabber/ramcharger oval lids were the same. A12 and AAR/ T/A excluded.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Collin, I have some experience in this area on a Road Runner hood that I had laying around. First I sent the hood out to a chemical/acid dipping place to have all the rut removed. When it came back it had damage similar to your lid (although not as bad). What I did was lay on a couple of heavy coats of high build primer and block it out. I had to do this a couple of times to get it flat and straight. I don't know how it would stand up to engine heat. If you do decide to replace it, I think they are all the same. Also i collect old worn out air cleaner lids, so if you do get a new one keep me in mind. Selling this one could soften the blow of a new one.
Some interchange here is a breakdown of them from year one ..........................................AA500L
1969-1971 440 6-bbl and Air Grabber or Ramcharger, 1970-1971 E-body models with 440 6-bbl and Shaker hood or 1970 340 Six-Pack fiberglass oval lid without the outer lip.

$85.99

[Click image for part details] AA501L
1969 Air Grabber, 1969-1970 Ramcharger with 4-bbl and fresh air hood, 1970-1971 426 Hemi. Oval fiberglass lid.

$85.99

[Click image for part details] P2946393
Six-Pack orange air cleaner lid.

$99.99

[Click image for part details] SR697
Air cleaner lid for 1969-1971 models with the Hemi engine.

$165.99

[Click image for part details] WN2
1969-1971 Six-Pack models with fresh air hood steel oval lid with correct outer lip.

$189.99

[Click image for part details] WN3
1969 Air Grabber, 1969-1970 Ramcharger with 4-bbl and fresh air hood.

$189.99

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:
Some interchange here is a breakdown of them from year one ..........................................AA500L
1969-1971 440 6-bbl and Air Grabber or Ramcharger, 1970-1971 E-body models with 440 6-bbl and Shaker hood or 1970 340 Six-Pack fiberglass oval lid without the outer lip.

$85.99

1969 Air Grabber, 1969-1970 Ramcharger with 4-bbl and fresh air hood, 1970-1971 426 Hemi. Oval fiberglass lid.

$85.99

$99.99

$165.99

1969-1971 Six-Pack models with fresh air hood steel oval lid with correct outer lip.

$189.99

$189.99
They list multiple part numbers for the same application. :loco: I dont think year one is a place i would get this kind of information.

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
body filler hi build primer and paint you have little to lose compared to buying a nice used or repo one. if it doesn't hold up get a different one and the old one will make a nice piece of garage art.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:

$85.99

$85.99

$99.99

$165.99

$189.99

$189.99
They list multiple part numbers for the same application. :loco: I dont think year one is a place i would get this kind of information.
After reading its not so good, fiberglass with or without lip and so on. The source I got mine from only carries hemi and aar r/t lids. My original is wall art, not good enough for show but to good to strip.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
:loco: I dont think year one is a place i would get this kind of information.

Couldn't agree more...but then my disdain for YO and their predatory pricing practices are widely documented... :lol:

There are only three, and they are L-R:

'69 - '71 Hemi and single four-barrel
'70 - '71 440-6
'69.5 A12 & '70 Trans Am (wide lip)

Hole spacing is the easiest way to ID hemi/4-bbl from 6-bbl and the wide lip differentiates the lids for the fiberglass hood cars. Thanks go out to my buddy Dave Carson for providing this pic.

air cleaner lids 800x600.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparchris said:
:loco: I dont think year one is a place i would get this kind of information.

Couldn't agree more...but then my disdain for YO and their predatory pricing practices are widely documented... :lol:

There are only three, and they are L-R:

'69 - '71 Hemi and single four-barrel
'70 - '71 440-6
'69.5 A12 & '70 Trans Am (wide lip)

Hole spacing is the easiest way to ID hemi/4-bbl from 6-bbl and the wide lip differentiates the lids for the fiberglass hood cars. Thanks go out to my buddy Dave Carson for providing this pic.
Yep your right, it really hurts to say that. :lol: Go to my source, google Hoover Auto Parts if you need one.

DSCN4353 (Medium).JPG

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Yep your right, it really hurts to say that. :lol:
:toetap: Oh really? :lol:

Your original is still very nice. It would look great in my game room... :basketcase:

:jester:

moparchris

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
Yep your right, it really hurts to say that. :lol:
:toetap: Oh really? :lol:

Your original is still very nice. It would look great in my game room... :basketcase:

:jester:
Hey thats a great idea! Yeah Bob send it my way and I will see it has a good home in my garage. :lol:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
better yet...send lt to me and all l'll need ls the base.... :D

droptop

Reaction score
Collin said:
My original air grabber lid has some minor perforations to it. Not sure wether to try and repair it via weld or a fiberglass or all metal body filler. If I do need to get a new one I have a question. Is there really a size difference in the Hemi, Six pack and Air Grabber lid? I do not need a new base just the top lid. I am sure there has to be some difference here as they are listed under different part numbers but I am just curious what that difference is. I would like to get a metal lid and not a fiberglass repro.

That should buff out..... :lmao:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Its hard to put a value on a fine piece of garage art, Maybe an auction :lmao:

Back