• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air grabber screen color

xs29j8

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
george68hemirr said:
xs29j8 said:
Nuts HUH?... Arm Chair Experts HUH?...

I bought my 1969 Hemi Road Runner in December of 1976 with about 28,000 miles on the odometer, and it had faded black paint on the hood stripes... including the inlet screens. My RR was a St Louis built car with a SPD of "A15"... the other black screen cars were early cars too.

Attached is a Polaroid picture taken in December of 1976...

XS
now here is somebody who knows what he is talking about :thumbsup:

...lots of opportunities for a can of Krylon to get used over the course of seven years...or maybe some G-built cars got black for some period of time...as perhaps there was a paint shortage on the line...or maybe this was just their standard practice at some point...absent a first-hand witness that worked the line we may never know. I personally know better than to say "never" when it comes to what Ma MoPar may or may not have done - my Windsor-built '70 Duster 340 is testimony to cars getting out the door that weren't even supposed to be built. :cents:

ACME

Sorry for the delay in replying... it has been a busy week!

To be as bleached out and faded as it was in 1976, it would have to have been done when the car was almost new. The only "rattle can" conversion that I can document was from black to red... by me in the early 1980s... see attached picture. I liked the red ones on the Hemi GTX... so I spray bombed them red on the Hemi RR.

Some new posts on Moparts today... interesting!

Just found a photo of Joe Oldham & a '69 Hemi RR in Mopar Action where they reviewed his book.
Photo shows the R6 Hemi RR "press car", which would include the Air Grabber; no hood stripes, but the screens are clearly black.
This was a pretty early car, as magazine articles showing it came out early in the model year.
The photo I'm referring to shows Joe, the RR, a Bee, a Mach1, and a GTO.
While it's entirely likely that the drivetrain was "rubbed on", I wouldn't think they'd change the screens; although with that sid, reddish-orange screens would look terrible next to the darkish R6 Scorch Red.

I'd say it's a "back in the day" photo, unless Joe made a deal with the Devil and hasn't aged in 41 years.

Mopar Action, Oct 2007 issue, page 82; someone should be able to scan their issue.

xs29j8

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
or could be on monday thru thursday they were painted orange and black on friday.....any thing is possible.....who needs those stinkin screens anyway :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

I talked to Frank Baldason about the subject a few days ago... he suggested it might be due to different vendors making the screens. That could also explain the different screen side rails seen in pictures posted on Moparts... see attached pictures.

xs29j8

Reaction score
moparchris said:
xs29j8 said:
Nuts HUH?... Arm Chair Experts HUH?...

I bought my 1969 Hemi Road Runner in December of 1976 with about 28,000 miles on the odometer, and it had faded black paint on the hood stripes... including the inlet screens. My RR was a St Louis built car with a SPD of "A15"... the other black screen cars were early cars too.

Attached is a Polaroid picture taken in December of 1976...

XS

Hi Allen welcome, I didnt know you were on this board.

Hi Chris... Yeah, I am registered on over two dozen car forums... including non-Mopar ones. :huh: :lol:

xs29j8

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
ACME A12 said:
...lots of opportunities for a can of Krylon to get used over the course of seven years...or maybe some G-built cars got black for some period of time...as perhaps there was a paint shortage on the line...or maybe this was just their standard practice at some point...absent a first-hand witness that worked the line we may never know. I personally know better than to say "never" when it comes to what Ma MoPar may or may not have done - my Windsor-built '70 Duster 340 is testimony to cars getting out the door that weren't even supposed to be built. :cents:

ACME

The only way to know for sure if those screens were originally black would be to strip them and see if there is any red on them. Of course, if they had been repainted they might well have been stripped at the time they were repainted. Who knows? Ma Mopar did do some funny things back in the day.
When was the build date on that car? Mine was built on May 16, 1969 right after a strike. If that car was built right after the strike it could explain a few things.

When I dis-assemble the car for restoration, I will thoroughly document the layers of paint on the screens. Back in 1976 I could not find any trace of red... and I really wanted to!

My RR is a fairly early build... October 15, 1968 (SPD)

xs29j8

Reaction score
Big John said:
I wouldn't be suprised if they came in both colors.

Think about it, Chrysler orders a few thousand screens from a couple different vendors. The guy on the line opens a box and they are black instead of red.... They just went on the car.... Or even if they were found by incoming inspection, they could write a non-conformance for color, and decide to use them anyway.

If you guys have ever been in an auto factory, you'd see exactly what I mean. Stuff gets used if it can be used.

When someone finds the original vendor specs, inspection and non-conformance records for that part etc, etc... then and only then will I believe anything is gospel.

What you say is certainly possible... the line keeps moving!

I am looking for proof like these drawing notes that settled a paint question on 1968 Charger taillight panels... see attached picture.

mcmopar

Reaction score
xs29j8 said:
mcmopar said:
ACME A12 said:

ACME

The only way to know for sure if those screens were originally black would be to strip them and see if there is any red on them. Of course, if they had been repainted they might well have been stripped at the time they were repainted. Who knows? Ma Mopar did do some funny things back in the day.
When was the build date on that car? Mine was built on May 16, 1969 right after a strike. If that car was built right after the strike it could explain a few things.

When I dis-assemble the car for restoration, I will thoroughly document the layers of paint on the screens. Back in 1976 I could not find any trace of red... and I really wanted to!

My RR is a fairly early build... October 15, 1968 (SPD)

Its pretty cool if the screens were originally black.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
xs29j8 said:
george68hemirr said:
or could be on monday thru thursday they were painted orange and black on friday.....any thing is possible.....who needs those stinkin screens anyway :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

I talked to Frank Baldason about the subject a few days ago... he suggested it might be due to different vendors making the screens. That could also explain the different screen side rails seen in pictures posted on Moparts... see attached pictures.
Hey that hand and screen looks like mine, Oh yea I posted it on moparts. :lol:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
while we are arguing about screen anyone wanna argue about steering wheels

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforu ... php?t=7320

I'm having a Rodney King flashback moment..."Why can't we all just get along?"... :lol:

And now to go a completely different direction: Personally, I don't care one iota about the woodgrain wheels...real factory Hot-Rods have bottom-feeder steering wheels anyway... :devil: :pot: :devil:

:jester:

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:
while we are arguing about screen anyone wanna argue about steering wheels

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforu ... php?t=7320

I'm having a Rodney King flashback moment..."Why can't we all just get along?"... :lol:

And now to go a completely different direction: Personally, I don't care one iota about the woodgrain wheels...real factory Hot-Rods have bottom-feeder steering wheels anyway... :devil: :pot: :devil:

:jester:
i love wood wheels they look great , but my 69 does have the black plain jane one

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Stuie, you need new shoes. And whats that funny looking thing that says P R N D 2 1. You also need gas :lol:

moparstuart

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Stuie, you need new shoes. And whats that funny looking thing that says P R N D 2 1. You also need gas :lol:
I took those pictures about 5 months ago and i'm still wearing the same old shoes LOL Can you send me some new shoes for my birthday dad ? Well no manual trans , but it has bench seat manual brakes and manual steering so its 1/2 a real mans muscle car :jester: I do have a 70 bench seat pistol grip car manual brakes manual steering it was my brothers car . I will be putting buckets and a console in it .

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
i love wood wheels they look great , but my 69 does have the black plain jane one

That is not the bottom feeder wheel my friend...the one with the small plain horn button is the bottom feeder wheel...

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:

That is not the bottom feeder wheel my friend...the one with the small plain horn button is the bottom feeder wheel...
i'm higher class then that :jester: :jester: :jester:

I think what you meant to say that your car is loaded with weight adding options and therefore not that fast... :lol:

:beep: :devil: :beep:

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:
moparstuart said:

i'm higher class then that :jester: :jester: :jester:

I think what you meant to say that your car is loaded with weight adding options and therefore not that fast... :lol:

:beep: :devil: :beep:[/quote]
yeah but at least one of my cars has a pedigree of going 200 mph on the track and alot faster then that at bonneville :jester:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
yeah but at least one of my cars has a pedigree of going 200 mph on the track and alot faster then that at bonneville :jester:

I'm blown away; I never knew those Intrepids were that fast... :lmao:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:

just ask my wife...she's got the tickets to prove it! :lmao:

moparstuart

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:

just ask my wife...she's got the tickets to prove it! :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Back