• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator wiring question

Russ Hood

Reaction score
I had the original alternator on the car and you could hear the worn out thing turn.

I bought a reman 55 Amp from Oriellys. I put the m&h wiring harness on the car. There is a blue and green clip wires to the alternator. The blue is hot and the green is not. I put the blue on one and it heated up the wire. No damage done but I'm almost afraid to put the blue one on the other clip on. I assume the other one is for the blue (hot) wire.

Ignore the coil wire its hooked up along with the temp gauge wire.

Advice or suggestions?

Car runs fine after new wiring and ecm.

20220813_222435.jpg

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Well.......I hooked them up and it's fine. I do see the gauge is towards the Charging side. I checked and it's 12.84 volts on the battery

MoparDan

Reaction score
Well.......I hooked them up and it's fine. I do see the gauge is towards the Charging side. I checked and it's 12.84 volts on the battery
12.84 is a little low. Should be about a volt higher. What is it if you turn on the headlights and fan? Rev it up, does the voltage go up? Stay the same? Actually go down?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Do you have a coemption voltmeter in the car. Mine reads between 13 and 14 volts. Glad you got the wiring figured out.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
12.84 is a little low. Should be about a volt higher. What is it if you turn on the headlights and fan? Rev it up, does the voltage go up? Stay the same? Actually go down?
Actually with the ignition off it is 12.94 and when car is running at idle its 14.09. If reved running its over 16.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That sounds right. 16 is a little high it think. Around 14 would be more like it. When you drive it should come down as batterie charges.

Back