• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum 4 speed bellhousing?

Smokngun

Reaction score
Is there an aluminum factory bellhousing available for a big block/A-833 combination? In my quest to shave weight off my 69 RR I realized there is probably 25 or 30# to be saved by not putting the iron one back in the car. If an aluminum one isn't available I may consider a steel aftermarket "scattershield".

I'm not really concerned if it is "correct" or not, just trying to make a fun fast street car.

(edit: Wasn't really sure if this belonged in the "Engine" or the "Transmission" section since it connects the two.)

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Look at Brewers Performance and I might be a player for your old one!

Smokngun

Reaction score
Thank you sir, but I'm not looking to get rid of any of the original parts. I have a numbers matching motor and trans for the car that I'm not using, so I want all of the original stuff in case I ever have a wild hair to "Restore" it.

I'll check our Brewers Performance once I get home!

mahoney0_00_3

Reaction score
scatter bell housing is a great option lite and strong put a 1970 fly wheel on it and it will rev faster 10in ,/ 11in is stock--- less wt?----alum is a big change too!

Smokngun

Reaction score
Thanks Mahoney, I didn't know the flywheel diameters were different. Even if it's not a lot of weight off the car it has to be less rotating mass attached to the motor so it can rev easier. I would imagine it would just have to be balanced with the rotating assembly when the motor is built.

quikbird

Reaction score
Quiktime makes a sfi approved bell housing for rr's. this is one of those areas that I personally don't worry about weight and worry more about keeping my feet attached to my legs. if a flywheel or clutch lets go it can get ugly and bloody very fast.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Quiktime makes a sfi approved bell housing for rr's. this is one of those areas that I personally don't worry about weight and worry more about keeping my feet attached to my legs. if a flywheel or clutch lets go it can get ugly and bloody very fast.

The carpet will stop it :basketcase:

Roadcuda

Reaction score

yeah, just ask Big Daddy and who knows how many other lesser know slingshot drivers!!

Smokngun

Reaction score
Absolutely correct, An SFI bellhousing that is out of certification can be had relatively cheap. I think it will handle the power of the stock 400 going in the car for now. It has slightly less horsepower than the blown nitro burning HEMI's the front engined dragsters ran. ;)

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
If you've ever seen the aftermath of a clutch explosion, you would never even consider anything but a blowproof bellhousing in a hot street car.

ClutchExplosion.jpg

Attachments

• ClutchExplosion.jpg
    ClutchExplosion.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 0

Rocket

Reaction score
Holy $#!@ I have a 513 aluminum bell now.... when I drop my stroker in I am definitely going with a blow proof . Yikes.

Back